R-G BV 222--Did you get it? Have you started it?

Just wondering how many of us bought this gargantuan dust collector, and of those,how many are doing anything with it besides collect dust. My own confession: Yes, I bought it first chance I got, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through futzing around trying to correct the tailplane, though I will probably limit my mods to that. Otherwise, I haven't done a thing with it.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I've got one and it's currently in the box collecting dust. What is wrong with the tail plane?

Reply to
billw4

It's too short by about a centimeter on each side, though the taper is right. The effect is that the kit pieces look too stubby compared with photos and drawings. All the error is outboard of the primary elevators, so the fix isn't too bad, except that it means rebuilding the leading edge slots too.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I built the Air Model BV 222, which has a flaw in the rear of the driver. Scratchbuilt the whole xxx (censored) nose turret myself. Now it's all in injected and you tell us that it's wrong again?

Ronald Jeurissen

Reply to
ronald jeurissen

Doesn't that make you feel better after all that work? Now even the guys who bought the injected kit have to work out some bugs. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Slam this kit together and it looks like a BV 222. Change the tail and it looks a tiny bit more like a BV 222. Get technical and move the wing turrets between the two outboard nacelles; it will look more like the BV

222 V2. Get hypertechnical and scratch-build the entire rear fuselage and fin from the hull step back to wipe out 5mm of shortness in the fuselage; no one will notice the difference except you. Those are the inaccuracies I discovered, but YMMV. I think it's a great kit, especially for the price, requiring 1/10 the scratch-builing work of a similar-sized vacuform for the same result, and the only problem I'm correcting is the tail plane, because (1) it's fairly obvious as a shape error and (2) it's relatively easy to fix. The turret mislocation probably isn't all that hard to fix, but at least two of the other BV 222 did have turrets in that location, so the model is just a little hybridized in that sense.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert