R4D Carrier Launches

Watching "The Secret Land" on Turner. Byrd's 1946-47 Antarctic expedition.

Several scenes of R4Ds with RATO packs zooming off a carrier deck in

100 ft.

Amazing sight. Try to catch it.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Cool. Would those be similar to the old esci kit, with the RATO bottles and skiis? I ask because I have one....

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Yep, just like the ESCI kit. I'm tempted, too.

Great footage as they tunneled down to the earlier base under many layers of snow. Everything intact. The commentator mentioned that the lack of bacteria, etc. in Antarctica would allow for years of food to be stored for time of famine in the world. Wonder whatever happened wth that dea?

After I posted the first message they followed the search for a downed PBM and recovery of the survivors.

Got to dig out the old National Geographics. Sometmes I am really glad that my mother never threw anything away. On the other hand, anybody want to buy over 700 (27 cases) cookbooks? :-(

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Severe freezer burn?