Re: Question re Revell PT-109

Doesn't Lindberg or someone else do it?

Its light years from the Revell AG S-100 (now $10 at HL's half off internet coupon sale), but I did it as a a quick build and thought it OK.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Personally I thought it was pretty good considering the age of the = moulds. Dimensionally its not bad and the general arrangement is pretty close = (unlike their Vosper, which looks like nothing that ever sailed). = Borderline deficient areas are the crew figures who look anorexic and = the armament which lack definition. The Deck represents the worst = aspect of this kit it has heavy planking detail which has to be reduced. = It lacks the inset deck sky lights. =20 The rumour was White Ensign might do a photo etch set for this kit and = how welcome that would be. But a lot can be achieved by cross kitting. = A decent 20mm Oerlikon can be transplanted from the Airfix RAF rescue = launch, as can a Carley float. Good .50cals may be found in A.F.V.kits = as can figures. =20 The Fine Scale modeller article is very good, but for PT 109 the = partition immediatly behind the steersmans position can be removed and = it location hole filled. This represents the only armour = on a PT boat and JFK like many PT boat captains didn't think it was = right that the officers had the only protection so had it removed.

--=20 Les Pickstock

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Jeff wrrote:

Try at least 40+ years. IIRC I got the first release when it wasn't the 109 sometime in the mid 50's.

Oxmoron1 Guess that puts me in the OFE class rather than the MFE group.

Reply to
OXMORON1

Lindberg has two 80" Elco PT-boats (both sold in PT-109 boxes): One in

1/64-ish scale, and one in 1/32.

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Jeff wrrote:

And Oxmoron1 answered:

I seem to recall that the 1:72 109 was issued around 1961 to coincide with JFK's winning the presidency. Revell did have a another, smaller scale PT boat around since the mid-1950s.

The Old Timer

You are correct! Doh! memory failing.

Oxmoron1

Reply to
OXMORON1

This kit was released about the time of the Cliff Robertson movie to capitalize on that film. That would date it around 1964, and I recall I had one while in senior high (1963-66).

The Revell history book lists it as in continuous production from 1963-1980 and then repops.

The other two they did were PT-212, a box scale Higgins boat from the 1950s, and "PT-73" which was based more on the TV one than the Vosper it was made from.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

As for PT-212, somebody worked it out and it came out to something like 1/111, which makes it box scale. Tugboat was the same way, but worked out to 1/108. Go figure.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MAYSUN5961) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

I won 2 1st place and 1 3rd place with mine. Took a lot of work. Replaced the 20MM barrel with some tubes, even sleveed it, .50 barrels with tubes, the Hase 1/72 37mm on the foredeck, model RR stanchions and wire to replace the rails, etc. Added wire for the silencers, etc. Even made depth charges and roll off racks, several pictures/drawings I have show them.

May try it again, when I'm a little better. It really looks great. Squadron In Action has a good line drawing. Victor Chen's book is helpful if expensive. I thought I had a third book but I'm still unpacking from the move.

You really don't have many choices.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost