Recently At least half I Want From Squadron is Out Of Stock A Diecast Store?

Less and less I think of Squadron as a model company and see it as a pre-made toy company. I have better luck with Roll Models in terms of having them tell me when they expect items to come in. I have Squadron hold onto my credit card number so long I forget I have items out there. I am tempted to send a check as I believe Squadron must produce inventory or provide a refund within a certain time period. When they have to cough up your cash maybe it will light a fire to move.

They used to talk about having the items in stock. Fujimi, Eastern Express, are two recent disappointments where there was NOTHING from the Squadron catalog in stock.

Conversely Roll Models tell you you have to wait. They also pull items out of the catalog if they are no longer available . So I don't mind waiting in this computer day in age is someone give me an accurate turn around time. I do not know why catalogs are filled with references to things either unavailable or with no production lead time.

I resent being offered, even having pre-made toys shoved at me when I am a model builder. If Squadron wants to be a glorified Franklin Mint they should stop pretending to service the plastic modeler.

The whole thing reminds me of when as a kid I went into a "stamp and coin" store to get stamps. back then as a boy I felt I should indulge the owner who barely had any stamps that I made the trip to the store to get. So I started a penny collection half heartedly. I was a pushover kid then.

You won't see me buying diecast. I hope every one of us on a building budget let assembled metal sit on their shelves. It costs a fortune relative to a kit. I think it impacts the plastic inventory they are not refilling, I used to feel loyalty to Squadron . back to 1972 both to Sligo Avenue in Silver Spring and Michigan. Now it is just and internet place that is running a distant second to Roll Models in terms of filling my requests. Yes Roll Models takes a while, But, they let you know how long things will take.

Sincerely,

Big Al Cherer

Reply to
Albert

still got the pennys?

Reply to
someone

I've not had that many problems with the "S" word but I must say Roll Models shipping is very slow. I do a lot with the ones listed below. Good prices and very quick shipping and they always have what they show in stock.

Tower

Hobbylinc
E-Hobbyland

Count DeMoney

Their policy used to be if it wasn't in stock, you got an immediate refund check with the part of your order that was shipped. They didn't want to deal with back orders. The money order would go into the mail on Monday, the next Monday without fail the kits would arrive.) I have nothing but praise for them; I've been doing business with them since their first ad in Scale Modeler magazine, and my customer ID number is under 200. (and yes, I used to have a free lifetime subscription to "The Squadron" magazine, although I lived far longer than it did.) :-)

Keep up to date via their internet website:

that last one, they have a day-by-day update of what new items have arrived or been restocked. That's pretty good service, IMHO.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I had the same problem with VLS/Legacy way back. Now Squadron owns VLS. Sounds contagious!

Reply to
frank

with S you can't even order an out of stock item online....I am not going to keep checking when so many other sites will allow you to order something not in stock. too many other places carry the same stuff and make it easier to shop...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

You know the people at Squadron have been pretty nice. They undid two errors last summer rather quickly. It comes down to not having what I want in stock, or finding out after a huge search it is in the catalog but not labeled in a logical way. I forgot to mention that one.

It is disheartening when you have a long term, business relationship and everyone is decent, it is just they are not as adept at telling you when the shipment s will get into the inventory.

Big Al Cherer

Reply to
Albert

Al:

Reply to
Bill Shuey

Al:

What did you order??? I just hit Squadron with a $250+ order and received every item within 8 days. Books, kits and some resin detail sets and all came through, no back orders.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
Bill Shuey

Dear Bill,

I had a list of Fujimi, Eastern Express, and some 1/72 scale T-55 tanks who's parent company escapes me at the moment. Every thing I asked about over the phone, and later trying on line, was out of stock. My problem is that is an open ended term with Squadron. Other companies, especially Roll Models tell me their lead times. Or they tell me an item has been discontinued. Two of us tried the same Fujimi kits back in the winter. I guess might be time to say most Fujimi aircraft are eBay stuff. Its nice to know if that is the route you have to go, auctions or want ads.

Big ALCherer

Reply to
Albert

Re diecast models: Let's be fair. It's a 64 page catalog with 3 pages of diecast models.

Let's not forget the Easy Model pre-built and pre-painted offerings. Half a page.

That's pretty minimal "pushing".

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I'm happy to say that that which I ordered last Saturday showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. The only problem I've had with them was over some Trumpeter F-86s. When I ordered they were O/S and not expected back, thus they could not be backordered. I see that the -40s are once again in stock. Wonders me some.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller