Revell 1/48th Lunar Module - Tips wanted

I'm building a 1:48 scale lunar module, and this is the first model I have built for about 30 years. I'd like some advice about various techniques.

  1. I have two types of gold foil. The first is the foil that can with the kit. The second is gold coloured cellophane. Putting the gold covering on the descent stage was no problems, but getting the foil on the LM footpads is problematic. I used PVA wood glue on the descent stage since it was easy to work with and allowed me plenty of time to position the covering. That glue won't work with the footpads, so:

- What glue should I use?

- What technique should I use to get the foil on there? (i.e. foil bottom, then use patches for inside top)

  1. I'm using black crepe paper for the black covering on the descent stage. The surface will have already been painted black. What glue is best for this paper?

Thanks!

Reply to
Obviousman

Obviousman wrote: : : 1. I have two types of gold foil. The first is the foil that can with : the kit. The second is gold coloured cellophane. Putting the gold : covering on the descent stage was no problems, but getting the foil on : the LM footpads is problematic. : : 2. I'm using black crepe paper for the black covering on the descent : stage. The surface will have already been painted black. What glue is : best for this paper? : Try clear gloss, acrylic or lacquer, your choice. I'd suggest you attempt to "tack" the foil or crepe paper first to some sprue to see if that works.

Have you considered gold foil wrapper, like what the Roche balls are covered with? It is another possibility.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden