1/72 Apollo 11 "Lunar Approach" - CSM "Columbia" + LM "Eagle"

Wow. I would say its about time. Lets hope Dragon continues in this line. A whole series of 1960s NASA vehicles in 1/72.
http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA11001
Brand New 1/72 Scale Model Spacecraft!!!
Features: - Display stand included - Delicate command/service module and lunar module with astonishing detail - Authentic ascent stage - Defined landing pad represented - Intricate docking target and VHF antenna on ascent stage - S-band steerable antenna and rendezvous radar antenna can be folded up/down - Realistic landing radar antenna molded w/details - Intricate descent stage w/realistic engine - Egress platform with delicate detail - Diminutive reaction control thruster assembled w/crisp details - Docking Probe Assembly rendered w/intricate detail - Realistic service propulsion system reproduced - Photo-etched service module antennas authentically reproduced - Aft hear shield molded w/fine detail
Dragon is proud to launch a completely new line of 1/72 scale model spacecraft. The first fantastic kit set in this new collection is of Apollo 11, the first craft to put man on the Moon. Watched by millions of TV viewers, the historic Moon landing occurred on 20 July 1969 when the Apollo 11 mission touched down on lunar soil of the southern Sea of Tranquility. The Lunar Module (LM), christened Eagle, spent 21.5 hours on the Moons surface, while the Command Module (CM) named Columbia orbited above. The US flag was planted on the Moon, indicating to all who the winner of the Cold War space race was. The first astronaut to set foot on the Moon was Neil Armstrong, followed by Buzz Aldrin. The module returned to Earth on 24 July, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean with 21.5kg of lunar rocks and samples safely aboard.
As for Dragons 1/72 scale model, it features the Eagle LM still coupled to the Columbia CM on its approach to the Moon. The spacecraft modules are all newly tooled and they possess accurate details. Having the two modules connected like this makes for an impressive sight when theyre exhibited on the integral display stand. The kit also makes for an interesting education lesson, allowing modelers to understand more about this milestone event. The Apollo 11 mission was indeed one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. And now Dragon has added one more significant step for modelers too!

would rather have a 1/32 or 1/24 LEM. Now that would be a kit....
Craig
I wish Revell would rerelase the great 1/48 scale complete upper section of the Saturn V with the folded up LEM, service module and capsule in one go. Had one as a kid but think like many others it went out while I was in Vietnam.
Cookie Sewell
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Yeah and that is one that runs nutty on eBay.
(Though I just got a Tristar PZ 38(t) Ausf B with interior for $21. Deal can be had, patience is the key! I prefered the early ones but when they first came out... eeesh! You reviewed all but the B, I assume there really shouldn't be much difference.)
--
Herman Cain for President! http://hermancain.com /
If you don't support him you are a Racist!!
On May 20, 4:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

agree 1000%. dang thing is a $200 ebay kit these days. all the other Apollo kits have been repopped. wonder why not this one. Went down with the Hein and Raiden molds?
Craig
The original Revell issue was well before the first landing - something like 1967 or before if I remember right. Buit it had it's problems. The CSM was Block I Earth Orbital test flight version (Block II were the full up lunar mission units that flew with LMs) and the LM still had the Aluminum Whipple shields/Thermal shields (White and Black) which were replaced by the Gold colored Mutli Layer Blankets on the actual flight units. If you follow LM development - there were four basic steps in it's evolution starting with a rounded Ascent Stage with four large windows, crew seats, forward and top docking hatches, and 5 fixed landing gear. The kit is step 3 and as such a scratch builders dream.
Monograms LM was released as Tranquillity base and was fairly accurate for the actual flight vehicle.
Val Kraut

I don't suppose anyone has scans of the Monogram 1:48 LM instructions?

Yes, I have the instruction sheet. If you still need it, I can scan and e-mail to you.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

Don't look now, but it is scheduled for fall 2011 release. See: http://www.revell.com/ at the bottom is 2011 Fall New Releases