Revell Lightning

Revell are planning to release a 1/72 EE Lightning in October.

Does anyone know anything about this? Will it be a new model or a reboxing of the aged Hasegawa kit?

If it *is* a new kit, I really don't know whether to be happy about it... I'm already obsessed by a number of aircraft types. A decent Lightning kit would simply serve to deepen my obsessions... At a cursory glance I would need to build at least eight Mk6 aircraft.

Maybe the resin companies could get behind this kit with releases of the small tank and pointed tail to allow earlier marks to be built (I think I can cut down the wing leading edges on my own! ;-) ) There are already plenty of decals available.

However, maybe the resin companes don't think that British aircraft are a safe bet. I would have thought that there would be resin conversion kits available for the Revell Hunter F6 by now. It wouldn't take much to knock up sets for the later rear fuselage to build an FGA9, or the earlier rear fuselage and wing leading edges to build Mks 1 to 5, but no one seems to have bothered. What a shame.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo,

The pics from various visitors to Nurnburg show a label saying (FROG/Hasegawa)...

MPM are releasing a new-tool F.3 though - well, so they say!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

There's a conversion kit for two naval Hunter variants, GA11 and PR10. I assume the PR10 is a purely naval variant as I've never heard of it until the kit was announced. I'd like a FR10 to paint in 2(AC) Sdn markings but I don't think this is the same thing.

I agree that conversion kits for earlier marks would also be nice, a Mk4 or

5 especially. Although Revell seem to have tooled the kit to allow for these variants, there's no sign of their doing anything about it.

I bought the Meteor F8 kit last month. Now I need the time and energy to build it. I'd like the FR9 as well but it's a bit steep at around £15. I could convert the F8 using the Aeroclub set in the loft, I suppose.

Wouldn't a decent Venom kit be nice?

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

The conversion kit is from FAA Models and is available from the following link:

I intend to buy the kit, but I have a number of reservations about it. It clearly doesn't contain parts for the earlier rear fuselage. The GA11 was a navalised F4 and as such should have a smaller tailpipe. Nevertheless, It looks very interesting.

I have bought the Gannet Weapons Bay set from FAA Models and that is highly recommended!

I cannot find any reference to a *PR* 10 in any of the Hunter books that I have. However, "Hawker Hunter: Biography of a Thoroughbred" by Francis K Mason states:

The first Hunter GA Mark 11, XE712 - as the new aircraft was designated - underwent brief trials at Dunsfold and Boscombe Down in April and May 1962, and delivery of the remaining aircraft to No 739(Training) Squadron at Lossiemouth started in June. A small number of aircraft, termed PR Mark 11s, were delivered to Short Bros at Belfast to be equipped with reconnaissance cameras, although these aircraft still remained strictly training aircraft.

The FAA Models kit has both GA11 and "PR10" noses. I think that the "PR10" nose from the FAA Models kit, and a rear fuselage from an Airfix FGA9, when added to a Revell F6 would make a convincing FR10.

Looking at the sprues in the Revell kit, one can clearly see that one of the main sprues has a segment that has been blocked off. The rear fuselage section for the F6 is included on a subsidiary sprue. It's possible that the kit was originally intended to be an FGA9 and was changed to an F6 at the last moment. If that's so, it would take minimal effort to release an FGA9 version.

You will need little of either. It is a very quick and easy build, but I found it to be very satisfying.

nodnodnod Eastern Express have just re-released the old FROG Sea Venom. Will that do? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Chris Hughes wrote

Oh, *bum* ! :-(

Oh goody! :-) If it is to the same standard as their recent F-86H and Meteor kits, then it should be rather nice!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not really! What I had in mind was a single seater, a Mk 1 or 4. I have a Frog Sea Venom in the loft and will make it when I get FAA fever, possibly after Revell release their Gannet. This assumes that it will be as good as Trumpeter's and cheaper. A kit of a Sea Vixen Mk1 is due out this year from, I think, the same set of initials as the Meteor 8.

Some Vampires would also be attractive. I have the Frog and Heller Mk5s but I'd like a T11, an F1 and a Night Fighter.

That's me all over: want, want, want.

Gord>> There's a conversion kit for two naval Hunter variants, GA11 and

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Ooooh! I'll be getting one of *those* ! :-D

:-) I know what you mean!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

what's the verdict on the hobbycraft 1/48 nightfighter?

What, did you two miss the Aeroclub kits? Yes, I know they are short-run kits but the only other way to add one was to cut up some Vampires and Sea Venoms.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

You could try this one:

or this:

...and this website is worth keeping an eye on... ;0)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

I have no personal experience but I've heard here years ago that it is a bear and then some. IIRC, there was more than the usual trouble getting the booms to come out even among a host of gripes.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hello and good morning Mr. Jones,

thanks for your mail and your interest, that we want to answer as following:

I'll think you mean our new item 04301 Lightning F.Mk.6, scale 1/72. That's a cooperation-kit with Hasegawa, not a new tool-model.

Damn shame.

Reply to
Darren Jones

Thanks for that, Darren. It *is* a shame... From what I remember of the Hasegawa kit, the shape was accurate but the raised panel lines were hideous. I wonder if it is beyond the realms of possibility that the moulds have been altered to present more realistic panel lines? Am I correct in saying that Revell have done something similar with ex-Matchbox kits?

And if the kit is cheap enough, it could be a source of parts (belly tank, leading edge extensions) to graft on to the MPM F3.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It seems that the Hasegawa kit is still in production, so I think any alteration of the moulds is unlikely.

Hannants is selling the Hasegawa one for £6.75, which is a similar price range to some resin conversion kits.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

good thing the box is bureid.

Lightning F.Mk.6 Bild Revell 72 4301 Kooperation Hasegawa - FROG tool! Oktober

Jules

Looks great, but i wonder how much aftermarket bits and pieces have been used?

Reply to
Darren Jones

My, XR770 sure does get around. In my first Hasegawa kit is was wearing Saudi markings.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

With it being a Revell stand, most likely none,but maybe parts from another kit, if something was faulty or came out wrong...

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

It looks OOB to me, not built one for years though...

I have a few on my shelf, from the orig Hales boxes etc onwards, and a pile of the Revell boxes, 25 Mbox ones, inc about 15 T55's and maybe 20 or more Airfix F1A and F3's...inc the MPC boxes and a double sized box.

Have hundreds of decal sheets, etch, vac canopies, metal etc etc. and vac to convert

Anyway wanna see some pics of my Lightning stash?

Reply to
Jules