Davidawomby

David, you don't want it, honest!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

In the name of God, why?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

OK, tell me why I don't want it.

It doesn't look too bad in the review on Modeling Madness website. However, that site says it is a re-issue of the Frog FGA9 but the parts breakdown shown on that site doesn't match the Frog FGA9 - I know as I have two of those. The parts breakdown doesn't match the Frog/Novo/Eastern Express F1 or the original Airfix F6 or released FGA9 or the Matchbox F6/T7 either. So, I thought I would try to get my hands on one and check it out for accuracy.

I'm not prepared to pay the price for a PJ resin one, although they look very good. Even if the Plastyk one isn't fully accurate, I thought it may be better than the others above or contribute some parts to an accurate 1/72 single seater Hunter

Right now, I am working on a T7 from a Frog FGA9 and the old Air Conversions injection T7 kit. I know the fuselage of the Frog FGA9 is a bit too large diameter and the parachute housing a bit big but the results pretty nice so far. At least I didn't have to extend the rear fuselage on this one like I would on the Frog F1 or Airfix kits.

David Womby

Reply to
Davidawomby

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Davidawomby) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m01.aol.com:

Having looked at the review

I'd reckon it was actually the Airfix. It certainly isn't the F1. Its an FGA9. They do seem to have some reboxing for the Eastern Europe market.

I agree, without spending a lot of money on a resin kit you are very limited when it comes to the Hunter in 1/72.

Reply to
Peter Baxter

Don't think it's Airfix -

Look at the way the horizontal stabilizers are moulded in a single piece that slots into the fin from the rear. Airfix, IIRC, has two seperate stabilizers that attach to each side of the fin.

Other suggestions welcomed.

David Womby

Reply to
Davidawomby

David,

You have me wondering about this now!

I built an ex-FROG FGA9 about 6 months ago and, looking at the pictures in the MM article, it wasn't this kit. The article notes no pilot, yet I'm sure every FROG aircraft kit ever put out had a pilot figure, including the FGA9. What it certainly didn't have was Sidewinders, which this kit possesses. Yet it does look "FROGy"!

It certainly isn't Airfix (pilot figure, Matra packs) and it can't be Matchbox (seperate nose). I can't think of any other 1/72nd scale Hunters.

Interesting!

John

Reply to
John Walker

John,

Now you see why I am trying to get hold of one. Not Frog F1, Frog FGA9, Airfix or Matchbox. Curious isn't it? There was apparaently also a F6 many years ago in Japan from a company called Central but I have never found one anywhere.

I live in hope that this will turn out to be a completely new mould and reasonably accurate!!!

David

Reply to
Davidawomby

I wonder if it's a modified Frog mould, rather than completely new? I'll ask over at Hyperscale, someone there may know!

If it is either new or modified, it's the most unheralded new kit ever!

John

Reply to
John Walker

David,

It is a new tool with engraved lines. It looks like it is based on the Frog kit to some extent, but it is a new tool. I can also confirm it is not the Frog Mk 1, Matchbox, or Airfix kits. The Plastyk kit seems almost like a limited run kit with thick runners and parts. I doubt the fit will be good.

I'm not sure how the accuracy is, as I haven't had the time to review my Hunter kits. I'll leave that to someone else.

HTH,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Bates

Jim,

Thanks. Now you have raised my hopes a little but I hope someone else here can comment on its accuracy. It couldn't be worse than the others, could it?

David

Reply to
Davidawomby

Well, the fuselage actually tapers far too much in side view from the wing back - you can see this in the MM article. That put me off it straight away. Can't see how you would fix that.

It's been around for about 10 years, I first saw a bagged one in about

1993/4 IIRC
Reply to
Dave Fleming

"John Walker" wrote in news:j6IHb.481$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

Just had another look.

I was wrong - its not Airfix - the extra sprue with the arms etc threw me.

In fact, having a closer look that looks to be different to the others.

The rest of it does look somewhat like the Frog FGA9 as I recall - its been a while since I saw one.

Reply to
Peter Baxter