Revell of Germany

I will admit that I haven't done all that many Revell of Germany car kits but every one I have attempted has had a problem that only became apparent in the very late stages of construction. In every case, it has been a result of some part of the kit extending well into the area where some other part must fit in order for major components to fit together, affecting overall construction of the kit. Yeah, I know about dry fitting but this problem hasn't showed up until I try to get major components to set together in final gluing. That is, the fit is not far enough off that it is obvious on dry fitting but it dramatically affects overall construction because it submits attempted glued bonds to so much tension that they don't set up properly.

Is it just me or has anyone else encountered such problems?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Larry Farrell

I've been building quite a few Revell jets, starting in the mid seventies. In those days fit and detailing were usually poor. This cannot be said about their later releases. Actually the newer RoG kits offer almost the quality found in the Tamygawa kits at sometimes less then half the price.

Over all these years of modelling I only encountered one very minor problem: on their 1/32 RF-4C the instructionsheet has the side camerabay clear parts labeled the wrong way: the left one ought to go to the right side and vice versa.

But then I only model jets, perhaps their other kits might have some issues, but in my IPMS branch I'm yet to hear the first complaints.

Also my experiences with the company itself are excellent. If a part is warped, or even if I goofed up myself, I write them (snail mail in the old days, through their website nowadays) explaining my predicament. Within a week or three the mailman brings me the replacement parts free of charge.

No siree, you won't hear me complaining about RoG....

Cave Putorium

Steven

Reply to
Steven

I occasionally notice this, but find far less problems than many of the Eastern European kits. I am willing to put up with it for the accuracy and good detail of their offerings, at good prices.

I have learned on RG kits to indeed do the trial fitting, and explore different order of assembly in some cases.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I know I shouldn't reply to my own post, but I received the latest copy of Scale Auto today and one of their kit reviews seems to bear out my concerns. They cite major fit issues in the Audi R8 kit by Revell of Germany, one of the kits with which I had problems, although apparently different issues than I encountered. Maybe it *isn't* just me, after all.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Larry Farrell