Sherman Color

I have just finished assembling Dragon's Sherman Vc Firefly. I don't think that it was painted olive drab as were U.S. tanks. Seems that I have read or heard of a British Bronze Green that was used on their armor. Does anyone know and do you also know a commercial paint color that would replicate. Thanks.

Reply to
John X. Volker

Bronze Green was used in three shades on prewar British armor, but was replaced with a medium brown (dubbed SCC 2) in 1942, as the chemicals needed to produce green pigments were in short supply. In 1944, a new color, SCC15 was introduced, which was nicknamed Khaki Drab or British Olive Drab because of its resmblance to the US shade (there was no official name, as the British authorities had decided that wartime paints should be known by number only). US-made equipment was normally left in American No. 9 Olive Drab, but rebuilt equipment (like the Firefly) had to be repainted using British paint stocks. Anyway, Humbrol makes a Khaki Drab, but it is a rather bright green so add a touch of brown to tone it down. If you're fussy, the MAFVA website suggests the following Humbrol mixes: Mix: 150+186+33 in ratio 20:6:5. or 159+33 in ratio

8:1. After the war, the British reverted to Bronze Green. Gerald Owens
Reply to
Lafimprov

Thanks great reply

Reply to
John X. Volker

According to Barry Beldam:

The GOOD news is yes, there is a match right out of the bottle.

The BAD news is that it was Pactra Artillery Olive, which has been out of production for about ten years now.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

LOL, well that is the way it usually goes. Actually I am very pleased with my model. I assembled those tracks and they actually fit and looked good and I was able to use all of the PE that came with it, bent the headlight guards correctly and everything. A first for me.

Reply to
John X. Volker