Sherman tank colour

Again im not happy mixing the colour for normal green, the mixes i have done are too light, too dark.....

Ok whats the best colour out of a humbrol/revell tin or Tamiya jar even if it needs white adding

Models are 72nd.

thanks

Reply to
Jules

Also does anyone know any good websites, that show the Brit reg markings etc, i bought a book but no use, and cant find any info online, i bought lots of decal sheets from Skytrex but dont know where to stick em!!!

Reply to
Jules

Tamiya's is the closest to US World War Two No. 9 Olive Drab (full-size). It can be cut with German Armor Sand to scale back the color. The other manufacturers have mostly matched their OD to the FS

34087 chip which represents the color used on Vietnam era helicopters (except Humbrol 66, which also represents No. 9 OD, but is a bit grayer than it should be). That said, for 1/72nd, the FS 34087 Olive Drab is not a bad choice, as it is already lighter and less saturated than the Tamiya color. Be aware, there are other Olive Drabs, No. 41, a dark OD for WW2 aircraft, and AN613, another aircraft color which was to replace No. 41. Shermans in British service were usually left in the US paint, except for Sherman Fireflies, which were rebuilds. They were finished in SCC 15, unofficially known as British Olive Drab or Khaki Drab. White Ensign makes this color, or mix formulas can be found online for other brands of paint. It was greener than the US color. For research websites, try Missing Links, MAFVA (the Miniature Armoured Fighting Vehicles Association), Track Link and Armorama. Alternatively, you can start building a real modeler's library with the inexpensive photo books available from Concord and Squadron. Gerald Owens
Reply to
Gerald Owens

Thanks for the info Gerald. I bought a couple of books recently, Tanks in Detail, Sherman and Firefly (im doing both)

I had read about the Firefly, but i didnt know it was a differant colour..Infact i am finding everything about the Sherman confusing and sometimes conflicting in source info.

I had even gone to my local model shop and opened every single brand in all scales, all brands gave diff colours and the new Dragon seemed way way off on the box art (although i looked at the Firefly so maybe it was correct)

I dont want anything spot on by mixing lots of colours, as last time i did that i ran out half way through the 4th tank and i forgot to write down which paints and how much, i just want something thats close enough not to get people complaining!

BTW was the US paint same as the Germans late in the war, they used what they could, paint made in differant places so usually it wasnt the same?? I know its a 1 colour scheme rather than multi cammo.

cheers again for the info!

Reply to
Jules