what colours?

I have some 72nd priesler WW2 german figure sets, a few.

I looked at the box art as they are normal uniforms, green so i tried tamiya grey green but it looks way off. What colours do you use? i can only get humbrol, new revel and tamiya.

BTW i have the figures of the tank crews, mix of black with which i think are early war hats, those really light gren uniforms. what is the latest period i can use them for? i kno wnot winter scenes. im using the couple of mIG production winters ones that i didnt have stolen. I have a couple of books but not really clear on time period.

cheers

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

One technique, popular among many figure artists (it is "artsy", but

*works*) is to paint the uniform in a dark gray (with perhaps a tad of green added), and then use a lightish gray-green as a highlight color. Accuracy is not in question, when you consider the many variables that altered the "correct" color of Field Gray uniforms.

And if you paint any articles of the uniform in black, try mixing some "flesh" into your black base-coat. This will "scale it down", without the bleaching effect that white usually gives; and will also give you "wiggle room" to do your shading.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I know latter on uniforms were poor and varied, tis just mine look so bad this time, esp in small scale My blacks are ok, its just my greens

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Right...the small scale. Which is why you should put more emphasis on "tricks"; as opposed to "accurate colors". The "Laws of Color Physics" become different in such small scales. Your Tamiya "grey green" may be "proper" for a full sized uniform; but things are different in figure scales, and in the 72nd scale-ish range, drastically different. Exaggeration is the key. Altered base colors, and exaggerated shading and highlighting are needed. Find a classic piece of artwork, of your subject matter; and see what colors and techniques the artist used for the more distant stuff (i.e. smaller scale). Or look at Ron Volstad's artwork for Dragon's figure sets. You will be surprised at what you see....no heavy reliance on "official paint chips"...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers