Let's discuss rust!

Rust on military vehicles is not much different than rust on any other iron or steel. There is no one paint color for rust, despite what Testors and other model paint manufacturers want you to believe.. In my experience, rust comes in many colors. It is not necessary to view a military vehicle to see this. A good source for military vehicle rust color is right under your car. If your car is more than a few years old, check the tailpipe, muffler, and frame for rust, and these are not moving parts. Check the suspension. Find any Orange? In the back of my yard, which borders a large wooded area, there is a piece of farm equipment that is half buried in the dirt. It looks like something that was towed behind a tractor and is constructed of various sizes of angle iron. It has been there for the 22 years that I have lived here and has been subjected to rain, snow, and drought for those

22 years. It is not Orange in color, even though it has never moved. It is a very dark brown, almost Black in color. There are also pieces of steel fencing that were used to keep cows from wandering. These are brown in color. My point is, I see a lot of tank models with Orange rust on the treads. These treads are moving and subject to abrasion, dings, water, mud, snow, and other things that wipe away dry rust, leaving a very dark brown rust where parts are not subject to contact with others, and these parts are shiny where two parts rub together as in drive and bogie wheels on a tank tread, whether or not they have rubber treads. I'm not disparaging any models showing orange rust, I just want to help others apply realistic weathering. Does anyone have any different experiences or opinions?
Reply to
willshak

Not different. I agree with everything that you have said. I would also point out that rust has a texture. Try mixing your rust paint colour with talcum powder to provide that bubbled texture. Where the rust has been breaking through paint, use a salt mask.

Get some ordinary table salt and dissolve it in water to provide a saturated solution. Dab the salt on the areas that will be uncovered. Let the salt solution dry. Then, spray the main coat of paint over the top. Once the paint has dried, rinse the model in warm water so that the salt dissolves away. This will leave a random pattern of rust showing through the paintwork.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I've heard (but NOT tried) of painting the model with actual rust. According to the tip that I saw, rust out a steel screw or nail in some vinegar for a few days or weeks until you get a ~lot~ of rust in suspension. Brush this on the model in the area where rust would be expected to be seen and let dry. Later, spray of light coat of clear flat over the rust to fix it in place. I'm told that real rust will have a shade and patina that paints can't quite match.

Reply to
The Old Man

Rust comes in all sorts of color flavors. But orangish red or orangish brown is not uncommon.

In fact, that last photo kinda shows the range of colors rust can exhibit.

Fresh rust is orangish. It tends to darken towards a brown or reddish brown as it ages. But presumably any rust on a operational vehicle or ship (as opposed to a derelict) would be fresh. Ordinarily, rust would be removed or repainted before it had time to darken appreciably.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Ditto...except that my preferred texturing matter for both rust and non-skid is baking soda. It's fine enough that you can control the "grit" of it with the amount you use.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually orange is the color of fresh rust and tank treads that move and abrade away the old rust to show bright metal DO turn orange first.

Reply to
Ron Smith

There is a model railway product available in the UK that actually *is* rust. You paint on the base coat and then apply a solution that causes the base coat to oxidise and become real rust.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Excellent tip! Thanks for that.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Steel wool in a jar of vinegar is quicker than a nail ,also steel wool in a jar with water works good .I just leave it until the steel wool rusts away and then grind the rust in a motar and pedstal to a fine powder. Steel wool and vinegar leaves a black coloured residue ,but turns brownish when used. I also have an old cast iron dutch oven which is out in the garden and gets water in it from the sprinkler ,it makes really decent rust powder when dried out.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I remember going to Catterick to see the resident armoured regiment in the

1970's. They had Chieftain tanks and FV432 and FV434 carriers. I took special note of the track colours. Brand new tracks were painted in a low gloss black which I had also seen on Centurions in the 1960's.

Tracks that had been in use for some time had all weathered to a similar colour which I think was a mixture of rust and dirt. This was a light greyish buff colour. I later mixed this colour very successfully by first mixing equal parts of black and white to produce a neutral light to mid toned grey. I then mixed this with an equal amount of Humbrol No 26 Khaki or No 29 Dark Earth. These two mixes covered the narrow range of variations in the colour that I saw. The black rubber track pads had a dark grey appearance produced by the grit and dirt embedded in them. Where the road wheels ran in contact with the inner surface of the tracks, the paint had worn off and the bare metal showed as a dull steel colour with a slight gloss to it.

I don't doubt that some tracks might be orange when freshly rusted but I think it would be unusual for it to last long.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

on 5/22/2007 3:53 PM Gordon McLaughlin said the following:

That's true. And one cannot go to a museum to see what a tank looked like during war. Someone posted examples of rust on concrete and steel ships that were wrecked. That is not the same as steel on moving vehicles. Just examine any piece of tracked construction equipment for how steel tracks rusts and weathers. I don't really know, but was the steel used to build tanks regular ordinary steel, or were there some other ingredients to retard extreme rusting, or make it a little stronger? I don't mean to be contrary, but just want the best way to weather models.

Reply to
willshak

It lasts about 2 minutes of running at speed before it's polished off.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Rustall? It's been available here for about 15 years. I've never tried it myself so I can't offer an opinion.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Rust never sleeps...

Oh come on, you just knew 'somebody' would.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

You are very observant and I agree with your analysis. As a result, the best weathering materials are the various powders (such as the new Magic Dust) that can be mixed to create the entire range or rust tones. And let's not forget that you can also mix larger amounts of weathering powders into water or clear coat to create a slurry that ranges from thin to thick. This approach can be used to replicate everything from rust to mud.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Richard Marmo