Slightly OT- Rolls Royce Nene-

Does this mean there's a Merlin River? Jerry 47
Reply to
jerry 47
Something hit me out of the blue just now- I always had heard that RR jets
were named after rivers mainly. Where did the name Nene come from and it
can't be from the Hawaiian state bird, can it? How does one pronounce Nene?
I will not rest soundly until I know, so please tell me before my wife
smacks me with a baseball bat so she can get some sleep-
Reply to
Jim Atkins
Meet my friend Google
There was actually a question on the Aviation part of the ASVAB? when I took it in 85 that was multiple choice that asked "Which of the following are RR engines" Thanks to an aviation obsessed childhood (and why stop there! ) it was one I got right. In fact I think the only question I missed on the aviation section was one on disc loading and well, as an NFO there was no chance of helo's in my future anyway unless things had already gone badly :)
Pugs
Reply to
Allen Epps
Hi,
Nene is a river too - pronounced 'neen'.
Duncan
Reply to
DunxC
Probably, but most of the RR piston engines were named after birds or other flying things: Eagle, Kestral, Merlin, Peregrine, Vulture, Goshawk, Buzzard, Griffon--OTOH, the Exe is a river name.
Armstrong-Siddeley favored cats: Tiger, Jaguar, Panther, Serval, Cheetah, though they also had a Deerhound, Mongoose and Double Mongoose.
Napier went in for weapons: Sabre, Rapier, Dagger, Culverin.
Bristol liked planets and constellations: Mercury, Jupiter, Pegasus, Perseus, Taurus, Hercules, Centaurus, Aquila.
Fairey had the Prince, after which they stopped building engines, which is too bad, because it was a pretty decent engine, and it might have eventually been called "the engine formerly known as Prince."
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
Merlin ain't a jet, sonny. ;-)
RobG
Reply to
Rob Grinberg
R-R only named their jet engines after rivers. nought else.
Cheers Kev
Reply to
KEV OF BBA
RR Jets are Rivers
Bristol Jets are mythology
Olympus, Pegasus
Reply to
Martin
River Nene River Avon River Trent River Derwent
Reply to
Martin
Not all the way along. In Northamptonshire it's pronounced nen
Reply to
Saints_dave
Rolls named their piston engines after birds of prey; Merlin, Eagle, Kestrel , etc. Their turbine engines are named after rivers; Trent, Adour, Conway, etc. There are a few exceptions like Olympus and Pegasus which are actually Bristol designed engines. Bristol used mythological names for their engine; Centarus, Perseus, etc. Rolls picked up those engines in the consolidation of the British aero industry in the 60's and 70's.
Mark
Reply to
<mark.johnston
So where's the river RB-211 then ??
You're right though....... off the top of my head - and in no particular order :-
Nene Derwent Trent (turboprop) Trent (By-pass) Dart Spey Avon Tyne Conway
Ken
Reply to
Ken Duffey
baliff! whack his pee pee!
Reply to
someone
Don't forget the Clyde too. But wasn't the Exe a piston?
Duncan
Reply to
DunxC
Lockheed was celestial bodies for a while
Constellation, Starfire, Shooting star, Starfighter, Orion etc
Allen
Reply to
Allen Epps
Bloody hell! I didn't know people went back that far ?
Oh look a butterfly! Don't worry I'll kill it. Okay nurse, wrap him up again.
Richard.
Reply to
Richard Brooks
we go back pre john pertwee.
Reply to
someone
Yes, pressure air-cooled V-12, I believe.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
But it really, REALLY, *REALLY!!* wanted to be a jet.
RobG
Reply to
Rob Grinberg
It's a tributary of the Severn!