Softening AeroMaster decals

Okay, I finally got that sheet of Aeromaster decals for my Spit IXc. Boy, are they thick !!!

My problem now is that on both the upper and lower wing surfaces, the roundels go over significatively raised details and the whole process is not unlike trying to hammer a sheet of steel in place. The decal solvent solution from Model Master is useless. So, what do you guys use to soften half-millimeter thick decals ? TIA.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

I use Solvaset - it works great on Aeromaster decals...at least it does for me...

Reply to
Rufus

Not readily available here... I got some MicroSet & MicroSol. Only marginally better than Model Master's. It still took me some serious hammering to get the decals to adhere correctly. Damn. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

where are you?

Froggieland. Well, I suppose I could order some Solvaset from Squadron or some other mail-order, but such stuff goes surface only and then, it takes forever to arrive. And another forever to clear the Customs... I'd rather order a bigger hammer...

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

Solvaset, my friend, is your bigger hammer. In fact it is so strong it will kill many of your generally well behaved decals. If none of the others work throw some Solvaset on it. If that doesn't work nothing will!

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

Well, actually, in the Microsol line, they have a product called "Supersol" or something like that. It's much nastier than Solvaset. I would urge extreme care using that product.

As for Aeromaster decals, use the mildest solvent that you can use; depending on their vintage and so forth, they may settle without any prompting at all. I have never heard of Aeromaster decals that didn't respond to mild solvents, and WOMD like Solvaet and Supersol can and will destroy fine decals.

Caution; always test with and on something you don't need.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Now this makes me wonder. I have used Aero-Master decals for several years and never had problems with them being thick. Did this Gent get a bum batch or did someone switch decals on him or what??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have no problems using Solvaset on Aeromaster decals...works like a charm for me.

Reply to
Rufus

I dunno, Microsol/Supersol always works for me on Aeromaster. I've never needed Solvaset or Drewe's nuclear approach with Testors Liquid Cement on them.

BTW- to whoever said Supersol is different than Microsol, it isn't. Same stuff, different bottles just like Aeromaster's Aerosol was the same.

"William H. Shuey" wrote:

Reply to
Ron

"Spitfires at War, part III", AeroMaster #48-464. There's a bit of paper marked (c)1999, so it can't be much older than that...

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

Well, the problem is, for now, solved, if I may say so, ahaha. Perhaps my next order mail order will include some Solvaset... Anyway, thanks to all for the advice.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun