Stash Augmentation

I suffered from a bad bout of stash augmentation yesterday. It was the local vintage machinery rally, and I did my usual sweep of the various stalls. I picked up a Tamiya 1:24 1966 VW 1300 Beetle for six quid, and Revellogram 1:25 Custom '56 Ford Pickup for a similar sum. The Veedub is in its internal still bags, I'll probably build it stock, but the year suggests a psychedelic paint job. I've got the old AMT equivalent of the Pickup somewhere, I'm thinking of building that stock and using some of the custom bits to make the Revell version a bit more wild. Anyone tried this, or have any suggestions?

I also scored an Airfix 1:72 "Golden Hind" for a fiver. The ratlines are trashed, but there's only a couple of minor bits missing, and it's still mostly on the sprue. I was thinking of using it as a display piece with my wargame Pirates by cutting the hull at the waterline, and adding furled sails, but I've tried hull cutting before and I'm none to confident about my technique. Anyone know of a decent "how to" site?

Last came a 1:24 Citroen C4 Hotel Taxi, looks like somebody turned a Ford Model "A" into a minibus. This was (with a box-body version) on a small stall I spotted while helping my aged Aunt to the facilities - virtue isn't necessarily only it's own reward. :) The vendor wasn't present, the lady minding the stall believed he wanted a tenner for it. I said I only really wanted it so I could stick in a blown small-block Chevy with side pipes, add wide wheels and finish with a metallic purple paint job - a bold statement given I was within a stones' (or spanners') throw of several dozen vintage car enthusiasts... A look of nausea passed across the lady's face, and she said "OK, Five Quid then..." To be honest, it was a spur-of-the-moment purchase, and I'll probably never get round to mutilating it (I've an appointment with a Pro-Street Retro-customized Trabant first), so as it's still got it's original shrink-wrap on I'll probably leave it that way in case I ever get into the eBay thing.

I passed up an Airfix 1:25 Aston Martin (for a fiver) and an Otaki 1:18 Toyota (the hard-top version of the one in "You only Live Twice") for seven-fifty, which I'll probably regret later, as I did passing by a truck kit last year.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Dude - and I'm not even american, Nor am I a vehicles man - there's too many aircraft need doing - but I could understand every single reason, justification, and thought process going on there. Great isn't it? All the best Charlie

Reply to
Chek

dangerous is a modeler with a thesaurus.......

Reply to
Craig

and a wad. "the only notes that count come in wads"

-sex pistols, great rock and roll swindle

The Revell is a '56, IIRC, and the AMT is a '53. No problems there as they were very similar structurally but the Revell might be a tedious build. It dates to the time Revell was wild about moving parts and scale thicknesses of same. Beyond that I have nothing much to offer as I've never gotten the pickup bug beyond the Model T.

As long as you didn't shove her in the door to get back to the table! ;)

Must not have been Citroën fans. :)

Holy Guano, Batman! I didn't know you were 'this' into cars. >:)

so as it's still got it's

Too late, I know, but you didn't see any AMT Thomas Flyers, did you?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

No, really, get in the time machine and go pick it up for me. You sure it wasn't the 1/32 version?

Since they're both 1/25 you shouldn't have a problem. I'd use the metallic purple on this one too. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

In article , Craig writes

I've checked the stash and I can't see one there, but I've got the Tamiya 1:35 Chasmosaurus - maybe I could do a conversion? :)

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

In article , Keeper writes

I wish I could. I was trying to hold down the expenditure, and originally only bought the Pickup and Beetle on my morning sweep of the stalls. Then I realised the Golden Hind was the same price as a smaller SMER Pirate Ship I'd been contemplating in a local shop, so I dashed back and got that. Later in the afternoon another fiver became available, but when I got back to the stall, the Aston had gone. The same thing happened with a truck kit last year, and a 1:35 Valentine a couple of years before that. The fiver burned a hole in my pocket, hence the bargaining for the Citroen.

Sorry, it was the big 'un. It was in a large flat box, I wasn't aware it had been released in that form before - the one I have in the stash is in a smaller, deeper box. (That's why I'd passed on it - with stuff there I hadn't got, I couldn't justify doubling up, even on something as tasty as the Aston.)

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

In article , Mad-Modeller writes

Thanks I haven't seen the AMT for years, it's that deeply buried in the stash...

I noticed the opening doors with alternative inner panels - not the most obvious custom modification, one might think; same with the alternative for the bench seat - another bench seat...

I built the Airfix/MPC Ford Woodie when I was at school (with the custom bits, naturally) - there were bits for a stock pickup in it, I never thought to get a second kit, but I'd probably just done a customised pickup as well.

I am if I get the chance! A wargaming friend was driving a little Moggie Thou pickup in the Commercial Vehicles section of the show, so when I called on him that evening I mentioned I'd got the '56 Ford. He looked confused, and asked "What game would you use that for?" When I said it was just for display, he pointed out I don't have time to build anything that's not game-related. Actually, he's probably right, I've enough unpainted lead for several incarnations without touching the plastic. :( I loved the "3-in-1" stuff as a kid, I'd just mix-and-match parts with no regard to mechanical compatibility (so they were probably pretty authentic...), they were close to being Sci-fi - I'd never seen an American car at that time, and didn't until my sojourn in the south some years later.

I've NEVER seen one of those! But if I do, and I can cut a deal, it'll be yours.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

A flat box? Aurora's came in a flat box but it was a DB4. Back when I had the MPC version of Airfix's DB5 it was in the standard car kit box.

I still have one of those MPC Model A Woodie/Pickup kits. I bought an extra AMT '29 Roadster just to use the parts to get two models out of the the first kit. One of these days I'm going into Model A production. Really!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

In article , Mad-Modeller writes

Shrewd thinking, Boy Wonder!! :)

I'll bear that in mind, I'm sure I've still got the pickup parts in my bits box. I checked for a Model A in the overflow stash at my Aunts' this afternoon, but memory had played me false, it was a '34 2-Door Sedan.

One day I'll assemble a kit. :( Some years later I might finish it....

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Augmentation my ass!

More like addiction.

Eight new aircraft kits and six new vehicle kits from Berkeley Ace Hardware yesterday. Mach 2 C-45/DC-4 is the highlight. ost interesting vehicle is the Military Wheels Tram-car Series "X".

Drove to S.San Francisco today for eight older kits from a disposal sale. Came home to one more in the mail along with a batch of paint masks.

I wonder what the zoning is to use the garage as a hobby shop? Oh, wait, I forgot what a crammed mess it is. 2000+ unbuilt models, 7,000+ aviation and modeling books and magazines, Disney stuff, my stuff, Lynne's stuff, our stuff, three of our four adult kid's stuff....

There's a moped in there somewhere.:-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Jeez, get rid of that! It's taking up valuable storage space. You'd probably make room for about fifty more kits.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

It's promissed to our landscaper's kid, if he doesn't buy a Ferrari before I can get the thing out of the garage.

We're doing a complete remodel and can't do the garage doors until the crew can reach the overhead mechanism. In the mean time the existing door opener stopped working. Our time is taken up remodeling the library, so it's a ASAP kind of thing.

I have most of the materials to build a loft in the garage just for kits. Time!!!

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

What scale?