Suadron flyer is out now

took them 20 years or so to get it right, and now that I get it early, I don't want it anymore... bad karma I guess

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Came today.

I found a few good deals:Tamiya Nanzan for $1.99; some good decal markdowns; RPM Rusky Reno Tan at $3.99; three of the Mirage Polish tanks at $2.99 each; a bunch of Squadron/Signal books at decent markdowns.

I manage to find a little bit every month, Mostly filling holes in collections.

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> took them 20 years or so to get it right, and now that I get it early,

Reply to
maiesm72

The thing that really struck me was the high prices for new stuff. I guess with petroleum at $140 a barrel we have to expect that, though.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote in news:b279987f-816a- snipped-for-privacy@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com:

Indeed. The problem has become though that I was an impulse buyer as well as a planner filling out niches or collections - Monogram Centuries, Monogram box scale, Israeli air and armor, etc. Now at the rates being charged such impulses are very easilt controlled, and collection filling such as US navy WWII 1/32 air has to make do with older, cheaper kits. I don't care how could it is $100+ for a 1/32 model airplane that can be had for $20 just doesn't cut it anymore.

I fear I am out of the new kit market for some time to come. $60 armored cars of injection plastic is to much, for a tank even it's to much. 1.72 armor runs $10 to $20, I can handle that. 1/48 armor is getting a little dodgy. I'd love the Israeli Centurion but how much is that puppy now?

Ships are a little different. Some of the 1/350 US cruisers seem relatively speaking reasonable. $40+ for a 1/700 does not.

The market I think is rapidly pricing itself out of any possible mass maeket appeal.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

are there any mass market builders out there? they sure don't seem very active.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:nhx9k.139537$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.news.easynews.com:

You know what I mean. I think that $60 1/35 tanks and $120 1/32 airplanes with ridiculous amounts of parts requiring an extensive time commitiment and experience are targeted at a specific group of people.

Joe Average ain't biting. I know I'm not. And that's after a considerable amount of accumulation.

It kust seems to me that given the state of the art, simpler, lower parts count but still accurate kits could be done cheaper.

Would you like to compare sales of any of the previous generation 1/32 aircraft with the Trumpeter kits?

A 1/35 tank kit with over 600 parts? Who really even has the time?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Know what I like? Picking up something like the Monogram P-51D at a sale table for $2. Good outline, quick build and God knows I've always a spare set of decals for it.

Reply to
tomcervo

i don't know what joe average likes. does he exist?

Reply to
someone

s.com:

read a review for a new Dragon Brummbar tank. Almost 600 parts and they still got it wrong.... I built the Monogram Brummbar back in around 1975 and it probably had 70 parts. Looked like one too. Fun to build without any nonsense of adding parts I cannot see.... "Where have you gone Monogram, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you..." Not exactly Simon and Garfunkel, but what the heck.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

s.com:

The one that shocked me was a 1:72 scale Boeing 40. 98 bucks!! My first impulse seeing the kit was to buy it, till I noticed the price!

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I feel the same way. The last "new" kit that I purchased and built was a HobbyBoss Fw.190A6. The packaging was great, vacuum-formed plastic sheet housing all pieces individually so they would get scratched. A one-piece fuselage and loads of detail. Add to this that I bought it at a K&B outlet for $2.99 made it quite worthwhile. Enough so that I went back and bought a couple for my godson to try his hand at (to pry him away from the VidGames for a while).

Reply to
The Old Man

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I was going to mention the Mongram Panzer IV series, I have all of them. But I figured the armor purists would call in a fire mission on me.

Inexpensive (still), reasonable accuracy, good conversion potential, easy to build, even zimmerit on some versions.

I could probably buy 3 of them for what a Dragon kit would cost and still have fewer parts total.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:27C9k.140244$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.news.easynews.com:

He most likely does not have a $60 1/35 tank or $120 1/32 airplane in his stack o' stuff.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

unless they were gifts.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:2HR9k.145659$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.news.easynews.com:

That's how I got my 1/350 Lexington. That and it was mismarked at Hobby Lobby (I think it was $69.99 and I had a 40% off coupon to boot. "Honey at the final price this is gonna be in the house. Either it's a present and that particular holiday chore is done or I'll buy it myself."

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost