Support your local hobby store...NOT!

Yeah, I'm hurt! But at least you found a first rate shop.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Aahhh, the memories! Now I'll rattle your memory box with another name from the long ago past: Polk's in New York! Imagine 5 stories of goodies! I got there just once. My Mother was visiting relatives and my Father had to go to New York on business and no one was available to "Baby sit". The promise was if I went along and sat quietly in the outer office and was good, we'd hit Polk's, which I had heard about. I came home with a Burkhard 1/32 scale Curtiss Hawk and a Ray Hawker Typhoon. Balsa Wood kits, high end stuff in those days. Aahhh, the memories!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

It was way back in the late 80's and I flew in on the Monday evening and was gone by Wednesday night - isn't business travel great! David

Reply to
David Pennington

Has anyone tried The Red Caboose in NY. That's a complete rabbit warren and the guy that owns it is a true 'NewYoiker' - no offense meant to anyone but as an Englishman he epitomises NY.

Great shop though and just about everything you could want for Railroading. I make sure I go there everytime I am in NY (about once every 2 years unfortunately)

David

Reply to
David Pennington

Time for my semi annual sigh over Polks...the lost Shangri-La of hobby shops. When I was a youngster every December my father and I would take the subway into Manhattan from Brooklyn for a movie, an afternoon at Polks and dinner at Shines or Galaghers. The wonder of Polks was to wander around the equivalent of a hobby shop stocked to the rafters, and then realize there were four more floors of the same things. Alas (here comes the sigh) not only is Polks long gone but so is Shines and (they built Madison Square Garden on the site). I still get to Galaghers every couple of years though and still think of those December trips when I'm there. Makes you realize how important little informal rituals and traditions are to kids.

Reply to
Mark Levine

Geez...that was in an earlier era. "King's" has expanded a few times since then, and now has at least twice the floor space.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Broke the law as well - all goods must have a written price indication displayed - if you are still pissed off, give your local Trading Standards a call - even anonymously

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming