testing Mozilla firefox

Any problems getting Netscape Bookmarks transferred to Firefox?
Bill Banaszak, MFE

Mad-Modeller wrote:

I am unsure as to how it is done in Windows, or OS-X, but I assume that you can always find the exact file in which your old bookmarks are stored, and simply copy it into the directory where your new Firefox preferences are stored.
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.0
JULIAN HALES wrote:

See if you can get ahold of a copy of Knoppix. It loads and runs a complete desktop Linux system, from the CD-ROM (no hard-drive installation required). That way, you can play around with Linux, learning the file system, etc., *before* you actually do a "real" install.
I have actually prepared a "package" for Linux newbies, containing CD-ROMS of several of the "run from CD" live distributions. If you are interested, here is the manual I prepared:
geocities.com/gvhtexas/linuxlive.pdf
Also, here is a good, brief guide, to Linux commands:
geocities.com/gvhtexas/linux_manual.pdf
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 10.0
Greg Heilers wrote:

Oops! Here are more "mouse-click-friendly" links:
http://geocities.com/gvhtexas/linuxlive.pdf
http://geocities.com/gvhtexas/linux_manual.pdf
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.0

simple copy and paste worked for me.
On 14 Nov 2004 11:30:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ian) wrote:

Have you looked at Tools>Options>Web Features to see if 'Enable Java' and 'Enable Javascript' are checked? Be sure to click on the Advanced button and look at those options as well.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

m/f rawks.
e wrote: m/f rawks.
******    Ok. I'm not sure where this will end up as I've just finished installing the Mozilla firefox thingy you guys are recommending. This is my first try and it may to to 'e' or the group...... only time will tell.
    If it gets to the group, I have a question. I can't seem to figure out how to browse to other newsgroups without subscribing to them. In IE it was easy - if not safe. Here I've hit a brick wall and cant seem to get to a newsgroup unless I subscribe...... help?
If this goes to 'e' - sorry. I've noted your reply to the S.E.5a and I have another Lindberg kit, unseen for many years, down at the bottom of the styrene cave. I'll hire a back-hoe and have a look at the contents of that box.
     Later. cheers - Jim. [Go mozilla go]

i don't use mozill for a news reader...i wouldn't use a web browser at all. i use newsx, a simple program taht hasn't been updated for 6 years but does it all. just search for nx201.zip, unzip in a driectory, drag the newspaper logo to your desktop and add your news server info. it will show all groups or one you type in. no subscription needed. takes 5 minutes to figure out.
e wrote:

****    I had a look. Being non too computer savy, is Unix a necessary ingredient in this mix?
    Cheers and thanks. Jim.

no. just download, unzip in any dir. open explorer to the dir and drag the newspaper icon to your desktop and go. fill in the stuff under file-options and you'll be set. it is the best news READER for ease of use. i do not upload mp3's or download them with it, but for all else it is great. very smal prog, low overhead. if you get stuck, ask.
e wrote:

******    I'll have a go. Thanks. cheers - Jim.
yup, mozilla is good chip
Jules wrote:

Jules wrote:

Well, I saw it but it wasn't loaded. :)
Tea time!
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Jules wrote:

Fine. My first instinct was to ask why are you using a dedicated web browser to read and post to a newsgroup?
Looking at your headers, I see that you are in fact using Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9, the latest version of Mozilla's dedicated news and mail client. This can be associated with Firefox, but is a separate component (unlike Mozilla 1.7 which integrates the Navigator and Mail&Newsgroups functions in one large package, a lot like Netscape 4.7).
Thunderbird is a pretty good mail and news client (not great - the filtering options are too basic). I'm still using the monolithic Mozillas 1.7, which is fine for my needs.
Alan Dicey wrote:

Mine too. As a long time Netscape&Mozilla and now Firefox&Thunderbird user I wondered what pluging did you install to get a news reader from Firefox.:-)

That's why I like them. Too many Mozilla crashes taking mailer and browser down at the same time...

I've just converted from Mozilla 1.7 to F&T yesterday, still getting used to them. So far, so good, but I can't get Enigmail to stop nagging about Enigmime service not running?!?. But I haven't had time to look it in yet...
Cheers,
Bostjan

what? that's a load. i removed it from a friend's pc without any problem. i did have to clean to entires with regedit, that's 1896 less than ie leaves. was that article in a microcrap owned rag?

geez, that's sad. mozillas a fair deal.

Only if you substitute "MSIE" for "Mozilla". Mozilla is perfectly removable.
--
Harro de Jong
remove the extra Zs from Zonnet to mail me