testing Mozilla firefox

**** I had a look. Being non too computer savy, is Unix a necessary ingredient in this mix?

Cheers and thanks. Jim.

Reply to
Jim

no. just download, unzip in any dir. open explorer to the dir and drag the newspaper icon to your desktop and go. fill in the stuff under file-options and you'll be set. it is the best news READER for ease of use. i do not upload mp3's or download them with it, but for all else it is great. very smal prog, low overhead. if you get stuck, ask.

I get to the Import Wizard, and it tells me that it can import from files, etc, but it doesn't give me a specific file to import FROM. When I click on "NEXT" it doesn't do anything.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Don McIntyre) wrote in :

It's supposed to give you a standard Open dialog where you can browse to the file.

Does drag-and-dropping the HTML file onto the bookmark manage window work?

Reply to
Harro de Jong

****** I'll have a go. Thanks. cheers - Jim.
Reply to
Jim

****** As you can tell from the postings below this one I'm new to this firefox thingy as well. When I tried to import my favorites from IE, pretty much what you describe happened - click on 'next' and then nothing. I tried it again, and again nothing. So I quit.

A little while later while fooling around in firefox to see what I could see I clicked on 'bookmarks' and 'ta da' all my favorites from IE were there. How and why I don't know, they just were.

I know this isn't of much help but have a look in the 'bookmarks' tab just to see if a miracle has occured for you as well...?

cheers and good luck - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

I do not know if this applies, but I downloaded and installed the latest Linux version (1.0) yesterday. During the install process, there was a step asking about importing bookmarks, and from where.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Fine. My first instinct was to ask why are you using a dedicated web browser to read and post to a newsgroup?

Looking at your headers, I see that you are in fact using Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9, the latest version of Mozilla's dedicated news and mail client. This can be associated with Firefox, but is a separate component (unlike Mozilla 1.7 which integrates the Navigator and Mail&Newsgroups functions in one large package, a lot like Netscape 4.7).

Thunderbird is a pretty good mail and news client (not great - the filtering options are too basic). I'm still using the monolithic Mozillas 1.7, which is fine for my needs.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I installed Mozzila on my wifes XP machine last week, and the installation process automatically imported her favorites from IE. (I'm not sure, but, I believe it queried me before doing so.) Now I have to figure how to organize her favorites so that folders are at the top with individual links below. Any ideas?

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

I'll give it a try. Assuming of course I can find the correct files.. lol

Reply to
Don McIntyre

use the manage bookmarks button. you can move stuff around.

installation

You're right! I found I could drag them around so I dragged the file folders to the top one by one. Not pretty but it worked.

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

cheap and easy...like ...never mind.

Jim, No such luck! I'm ending up bringing them into Firefox one at a time. Which isn't entirely a bad thing. I've got some sites there I haven't looked at in a long time, and now is a good time to decide what to delete. The major problem is I start getting distracted and wandering off to other sites! If you're doing something like this, NEVER click on a LINKS page! 8-)

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Mine too. As a long time Netscape&Mozilla and now Firefox&Thunderbird user I wondered what pluging did you install to get a news reader from Firefox.:-)

That's why I like them. Too many Mozilla crashes taking mailer and browser down at the same time...

I've just converted from Mozilla 1.7 to F&T yesterday, still getting used to them. So far, so good, but I can't get Enigmail to stop nagging about Enigmime service not running?!?. But I haven't had time to look it in yet...

Cheers,

Bostjan

Reply to
Bostjan Lemut

what? that's a load. i removed it from a friend's pc without any problem. i did have to clean to entires with regedit, that's 1896 less than ie leaves. was that article in a microcrap owned rag?

geez, that's sad. mozillas a fair deal.

Only if you substitute "MSIE" for "Mozilla". Mozilla is perfectly removable.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Have you looked at Tools>Options>Web Features to see if 'Enable Java' and 'Enable Javascript' are checked? Be sure to click on the Advanced button and look at those options as well.

Reply to
Al Superczynski