To finish constructing before painting?

Hi guys

Just re-entered the 1/35 armour scene after a long absence.

This has probably been asked before but is it the general rule that the tank is completely constructed - I mean, everything is stuck on, tools, machine guns, tow cables, spare wheels, spare tracks, even the tracks in their final position - before it is primed all in one go and then painted using airbrushes for the main camo scheme all over (covering even the tools, machines guns, etc) and then normal brushes for the fine detail on tools, cables, etc.?

I've been going through my modelling books and some modelling magazines and I was intrigued at how these guys have the model completely constructed before there is any painting. How do they paint the fine detail of the tools, etc in spite of all the nooks and crannies? How do they avoid butter fingers? How do you paint the tracks if they're stuck in their final position? Imagine painting the road rims of the wheels when they're in their final position!

I've always left the tools, machine guns, etc off the tank before I do the main camo scheme. The tools, etc are painted separately by brush and then stuck onto the hull. The tracks too. It seems logical for me to do this. I avoid butter fingers and I can access the hard to paint areas.

However what these guys do in the books and magazines seems completely illogical.

So what's going on? How do they do it with their method?

Thanks

Danny

Reply to
Danny Chung

Hi Danny- I'm not an AFV modeller myself, but I can see the logic of the following version of the technique. Once the basic build has been checked by regular primer, then an overcoat of fairly dark blackish colour is applied overall. This acts as a 'shadowing' agent in all the recesses. The main colour scheme is applied, then details are drybrushed to lighten the upward facing surfaces leaving lower surfaces darkened as if in the shade. There are variations and additional treatments that can be done afterwards (rusting, scratchmarks etc.) which are'nt really relevant to an airplane modeller. It's an attractive approach if done well. The main advantage that I've seen is that it helps 'unify' all the elements of a model, meaning no particular item looks out of place or stands out too much. Such as for example in the type of airplane model where sometimes the paintwork is carefully simulating bleached and faded, and the decals are screaming out in fresh bright colours with panel lines mysteriously appearing and disappearing at their edges. Oops, there goes my pet hate ...lol Chek

Reply to
Chek

You have to be careful. Sometimes they tack glue things together for a photo just to show how the whole thing looks before painting. They probably break things back down for the painting of the base coat.

I can't imagine anyone actually leaves the treads on when they paint as they'll just be in the way. I also can't imagine having the road wheels on while painting for tanks with interleaved wheels, at least for the base coat. I'd stick them on for further camoflage and weathering.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Have a look at a few trucks with dual wheels to see how much crap builds up between the rims when they are operated off road. Add a bit of mud and grease and it sticks in lumps. And that red mud sticks pretty well! Sticks and twigs stick to the wheels and underside in all the hard to reach spots. Grass catches on suspension and links and binds to the mud.

Also, have a look at the rust patterns that centre from the hub and streak outward.

Peter

p.s. I drive a 1:1 scale farm truck! On 160 mountain acres...., and when it rains......

Reply to
Bushy

p.s. If you want a good diorama idea, nothing's as much fun as doing donuts in a truck in the paddock when it rains! ;

Reply to
Bushy