Re: is it necessary to wash e-brass before painting ?

> >E-brass has obviously been through chemicals, but nothing is ever said about > >cleansing it prior to painting, but by its very nature, the parts are often > >ultra fine and cleansing is going to be tricky if not impossible. > > I soak my PE parts in lacquer thinner for a few minutes. Not > recommended for pre-painted sets of course! > -- > Al Superczynski, MFE, IPMS/USA #3795, continuous since 1968 > > My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email. > > Check out my want lists and eBay listings at "Al's Place": >
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to, > and the critics will flame you every time."
Reply to
Steve

IMO they're both poor substitutes for lacquer thinner, which I think is called cellulose thinners in the UK.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I'll second that recommendation about cleaning brass etch with lacquer thinner.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I personally think Brake Cleaner is much better, as it leaves zero residue. (even lacquer thinner leaves a little bit residue behind)

A good light sanding dosnt hurt either, and gets corrosion off old brass, and copper PE parts.

Azzz1588