Trumpeter T-54B glue no-sticky

OK, am I nuts or is there a problem with the plastic on this kit and
regular model glue? The stuff barely keeps the thing together...
Lance
Reply to
Bluepen
Oh-oh; this is that stuff I ran into on that 1/48th scale "Finback" fighter of theirs. Get out the superglue; the plastic isn't styrene.
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
The conclusion most of us came to was that it was some sort of ABS plastic as Plasticweld would ALMOST work on it.
But combined with the fact that the kit is (a) one of the first ones Trumpeter imported and (b) is pretty bad perhaps the best thing to do is peg it.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
Early Trumpeter kits (and also Wasan and Minihobby--all the same company), were made from ABS, or acrybutyl styrene, the gray stuff that Plastruct makes their architectural model structural shapes from. Plastruct Plastic Weld cement should work, as should other cements intended for plexiglass. Other builders have reported that cyanoacrylate (super glue) does not hold Trumpeter's brand of ABS plastic well, either. Gerald Owens
Reply to
Gerald Owens
Superglue worked fine on my Trumpeter "Finback", although it took a while to dry compared to its use on normal styrene. The Finback was molded in white. Washing the parts before assembly might help by removing any mold release agents on it. Has anyone ever tried to use the tube of cement included in the kit to see if that works?
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery

Site Timeline