Unusual source of information

Hi all;
A couple of months ago, I penned a note talking about some American
Civil War equipment that I discovered in a book of Currier & Ives
drawings concerning trains and locomotives. I happened on a book the
other day, "Civil War Railroads and Models" by Edwin P. Alexander,
copyright 1940. In addition to the many paeriod photos and drawings,
that I was going to use in the construction of two dioramas this
winter, I found scale drawings (1:48 scale) for a "Dictator" morter
car, two different howitzer cars (okay, one used a Parrott gun, and two
different armored cars, one for cannon and one for infantry.
After I get these rascals scanned for my own use, if anyone would like
a set, let me know via e-mail and I'll send you a copy of what you
want. I should be up and running in a week or so.
-- John
Reply to
Old Timer
Very intriguing. Expect an email.
:o)
Reply to
Greg Heilers
I remember a Model Railroader with a picture in it of Ed's model of the Harrisburg train station from the Civil War period. It was quite a large model as I recall.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad Modeller
Ed Alexander (according to what he wrote in several of his books) dealt in O guage (1:48-ish). To replicate this model now would mean either using the AMT General in 1:24 (and ~that~ would be daunting!), or as I am trying to do. I got lucky this past winter and came across a couple of old Advance Molding kits from the 1950s, a "General" locomotive and tender in one auction and a set of boxcar and flatcar in another on eBay (total for less than $30.00!). Now with the Civil War Army Corps of Engineers figures and a lot of fiddley-bits that I got from my local model railroad shop (plus a wealth of information that I got from picking the owner's brain), I should be good to go this fall. This will actually be the second train diorama that I'm planning. I have another one to start based on a "General" with a complete passenger train. Because my granddad work in the shops in Altoona, I'm planning on building it in Pennsy colors. Note that these really aren't "stash" kits - I really want to get these done for the BufCon next year.
Reply to
Old Timer
please post some pics for us aeroplane geeks.
As well as for us Civil War geeks.
Reply to
Greg Heilers
hey, i'm one of them too.