Model poll to take your mind off politics - everyone's invited

What is the weirdest thing you'd like to see modeled. Weird in that you feel alone in wanting to see it done. It's not necessarily something you'd want to rush out and build yourself. I don't build 1/144 airliners, but I enjoy looking at the ones built by people that do. So think wider than just what you might find on your bench.

For myself:

1) Construction equipment and diorama stuff. I know they make diecast stuff but it's just not the same. I'd like to see what could be done with some nice CAT tractors and other widgets you might see up to their axles in red clay.

2) Dead farm animals. For those military dios just begging for collateral damage.

3) The American Old West. Conestoga wagons, mule teams, cowboys, indians, cavalry, locomotives, etc.

Weird huh? Or we could just talk politics some more. ;-)

WmB

WmB

Sure, I'd like to see some vintage construction equipment in 1/48 scale. Something anyone could work into a WWII diorama.

IMEX has released some Old West/Civil War stuff. Sadly, it's in 1/72 but that's better than nothing. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Not weird choices at all. Each of these things, have endless uses in other eras and genres of scale modeling...including those of any *political* topic.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Okay, I'd like to see some 1/72 scale frigate, destroyer and cruiser helo decks! I'm probably the only person in the world who's interested in doing a helo launching or recovering from a ships deck, but I'd still like to see it.

Hell, while we're at it, make the durn things in 1/48 too!

Reply to
Drew Hill

You've been reading my mind (and just wait until my wife finds out - that's HER job!). I am gathering that pieces that I need for a smaller vignette built around an "O" guage (1:48 scale) very old plastic model of an American 4-4-0 locomotive and tender. The kit was made by Northwestern Hobby in the early

1950s and I recently scored a copy - almost complete - just missing one piece that I can replicate by casting a copy of one still in the box. I plan on making a Civil War armored train that I have from an old Currier & Ives print that I copied last year. It was sorta like that stuff we're seeing for the German Panzerzugs, but eighty years older. I have the figures already (military engineers in hard plastic and some old Plasticville figures) and some Woodland Scenics stuff. All I have to do is sit down and draw up the layout so I'll know how big a base I have to form.

God deliver me from that!

The Old Timer

freighters hit by torpedos would be great for Dios

Reply to
Daryl

Ya know that's an interesting concept. Maybe expand that idea into some form of aftermarket damage kits for ships, cars, armor, whatever. I realize that's probably the modeller's job to simulate those effects, but I've known few builders that will turn down a lifeline.

Good call.

WmB

WmB

Tell her (out loud or to yourself) that you lover her, everyday. And that her only job really is to dial in on the next days lottery numbers. ;-)

Yeah, the ACW (or War of Northern Aggression as some say) is rich with subject matter. There's a whole new world out there to model once you get beyond the years of 1939-45 and Nazi Germany. ;-)

I always thought the blockade runners and the riverboat monitors (like at Shiloh) would make for some great builds and dios.

WmB

WmB

Aww now that ones easy. Just put your model, the one with 100 hrs of work in it on a shelf up high where your sure it's safe and let you r cat at it.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

can you post that print? sounds really cool.

and alfred thayer mahan's histiries of the riverne war is amazing!

I like the old west idea!

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

No problem mail me your addy via e-mail and I'll send it back to you.

The Old Timer

Except for the dead animals, I think most of those items have been available at some time in the past. Indeed, I think RC/Ertl is bringing back the C_______r bulldozer.

No thanks.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

How about some 1/72 American fire trucks, ambulances and other emergency vehcles in injection molded styrene.

We have some great new Russian fire trucks and ambulances, WWII RAF stuff from Airfix, WWI ambulances, a handful of cast resin WWII ambulances and some modern diecasts.

I would buy several Dodge WC 54 WWII ambulances that were used by all services. Ditto bomb loaders that came in so many versions, crew buses, staff cars, etc.

Some of these have been done in resin and are most welcomed. Remember the Hasegawa modern USAF ground equipment sets? The same kind of thng for WWII would be great!!!

And last, but certainly not least: 1940 Fords!!!!! Long wheelbase, short wheelbase. Sedan (read staff car), coupe, convertible, pickup, woodie wagon, etc. This was one of the most commonly used vehicle on American bases during the war. The two chassis with the shared fenders, front end with hood and cab and rear fenders with different bodies. Drool, drool!

If I could get my hands on good plans I could arrange for cast resin models to be done for the MAI label. Anybody out there care to help?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Just saw one today at the Hobbytown in Cleveland. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Bill - Airfix made some 1:76 figures of Custer's Last Stand, I think. Anyway the set included two dead horses. All I remember for sure was that it was molded in a Royal Blue color.

The Old Timer

There were others as well, also from Airfix. If anyone is interested I'll dig them out and post it here.

Now that the new garage door is in and a pile of stuff is gone I can get to more of the good stuff. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I've got loads of HO stuff in the attic, as a result of being sidetracked into military modeling. For several years I've wanted to do a "ping pong table" layout of Arlen, TX, from the show "King of the Hill," complete with Mega-LoMart, Tom Landry Middle School, the water tower, etc...

Reply to
Robert Skipper

I want to *see* that!!!!

:o)

Funny....the show has "Mega-Lo-Mart" for Walmart, "Luly's" for Luby's....

...yet, they still have Whataburger...even down to the accurately portrayed orange and white striped A-frame structure...lol.

Don't forget the HO scale Dale Gribble "Bug-a-Bago"!

Reply to
Greg Heilers