Model poll to take your mind off politics - everyone's invited

How about some farm machinery, in 1/35th or 1/48th scale?

Cliff. Jones

Reply to
Cliff Jones

I'll give you weird... how abut some general aviation models like a Cessna

310, a Piper Apache, or an Ercoupe, all in the one true scale. (1/48th, of course) Now that I see it in print I realize how crazy it sounds. If it ain't got guns, what's the point? :-)

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Just for kicks: '50 Studebaker Starliner, '54 Hudson Hornet, '54 Hudson Italia, '54 Kaiser Manhattan, '57 DeSoto Adventurer, Dual Ghia, '65 Chrysler 300, '80 Dodge Mirada, '37 Zephyr and sundry other antiquities.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The Ercoupe was done by Olin, then Lindberg and finally by Peguso. They turn up on eBay from time to time. Just figure out how to make a cockpit. Otherwise, its a decent little kit. Can't help with the others, though. Sorry.

The Old Timer

I might have built one of those back in the 60's. It had no clear canopy parts. I painted an imitation canopy with gloss blue paint! Ah...the memories.

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Since the Eastern Europeans are duplicating the 1960s 1/72 kit lists with close to current state of the art kits, how about a new Grumman Albatross?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

How about a Grumman Mallard? What's the name of that airline that ran between Key West and Miami that flew them? Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I'd love to see a good Cessna 310. Or some classic old metal like the Cessna 190/195. A good Cessna 180/185. An accurate Beech 18/UC-45, as both the Pioneer and Hobbycraft kits have faults, and anyway, for a civvie scheme I'd probably prefer 1/48. Or any of the Piper twins.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

If anyone's interested, theres a Stinson 105 in 1:48 on eBay right now going at $5.00. I just finished one (Peguso re-pop) and its not a bad kit. The detailers here could most likely build up a cockpit interior.

The Old Timer

He has traditionally flown to Nassau, but...

pjk

Reply to
Peter Krynicki

Olin: Man you are giving your age away bringing that one up. First plastic kit I can remember was a 1/48 Lockheed P-80 by Olin. Yes, I said P-80, not F-80. And that Ercoupe was one of my all time favorites, I had my first airplane ride in an Ercoupe, out of a little airport outside Harrisburg on the road to Hershey. I believe it is a shopping Mall now.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

As if the world needed more shopping malls.

Steve H

"William H. Shuey" wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I didn't get to fly an Ercoupe until a few years back.

The owner asked me (with a sly grin) if I was nervous. I said no. He says "Then why are you moving your feet around so much".

It s a bit of an odd feeling flying wthout usng one's feet.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Not really...jet jocks do it all the time.

Reply to
Rufus

Every time someone wants to put one in here we're told that we're "underserved" despite the fact that only one highway into town does not have one alongside. It also doesn't explain why they have empty stores looking for renters. East of town it's just one long blight of shopping centers and tourist traps. It's not an area most natives go during the summer because the roads are like parking lots.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in Western New York (and maybe the whole damn state), if you want to build any kind of commercial property, you immediately become responsible for whatever existed there before. (Thanks to Love Canal) So if you wanted to build a hobby shop on a nifty corner location with good traffic flow and possible walk-in trade, you have to find out who owned it before you. Let's say it was a gas station during the 1940s. If the tanks are still in ground, its YOUR responsipility to have them removed despite the fact that the gas station was owned by Esso and they're still in business. Because of this, its cheaper to build new than it is to take over an existing commercial property. Of course building contractors don't mind this law overmuch; they're one of the biggest critics of trying to have it repealed.

The Old Timer