B-29 Props

Hi

A friend of mine asked me for a source for the correct replacement props for the Monogram 1/48 B-29 - that is, without buying the newer release of the kit with the different props. Does anyone know of a source? I know that years ago a company , 299 Models, made a set, but I haven't been able to find anything now.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bartolacci

I sorta remember Meteor making a set. Go to:

Meteorprod.com

Check under Cutting Edge resin. I can never get their search engine to work so you may have to go through the list. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Couldn't find any B-29 props by Cutting Edge - though they do make a set of corrected cowls.

I know Kendell used to produce a set of props for the 1/48 B-29, but they are OOB, so you may or may not be able to find them.

Reply to
Rufus

Since Jon(?) is doing his own thing(s) again, maybe he'll bring 'em back :-)

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Heres an idea. Since resin is really scarce, since the war and a set of resin cowls cost

40.00 (ouch) here is my idea. Bear in mind this only works if you have a Hobby Lobby store nears ya. Print the 50% off coupon right now (from the HL website) and go to the store. Each HL I have been to has the new Monogram kit for around 40.00 (tax included). Buy the kit using the half off coupon. Now you have a set of replacement props with a whole 1/48 B-29 left over! Still too expensive? Well I think four resin props would of set you back a twenty (IMO). Bring the cost lower by offering the B-29 kit you have for sale here on rms. for 10.00 plus shipping. Someone will bite cause a 10.00, 1/48 B-29 is a steal. And there ya go. Four new replacement props for a ten spot. Just an insane idea I thought I would throw out at ya. Good luck with your prop search. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Hi

Thanks for the help to everyone that replied - it is much appreciated Will try the suggestions

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bartolacci

"Correct"? What's incorrect about the kit's?

Reply to
frank may

Maybe "uncommon" would be a more correct term. Until recently, the Mono B-29 kit only came with Curtiss Electric props, correct for the atomic bombers and some other B-29s, but not commonly used. The great majority of B-29s used Hamilton Standard props during WW2. Unless you were doing one of the Silverplate birds, or one one of the other B-29s that used CE props, you needed to find aftermarket HS props.

The current release of the B-29 added an extra spure that included, among other things, the HS props.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

As an aside and drive by gloat. My folks were in town a couple weeks ago and we went out to the Dulles Air and Space. Gen Tibbets was there signing his book "Return of the Enola Gay" I ended up with a copy signed by him, Col VanKirk (the Hiroshima mission navigator), and by the weapons officer. It's a great read from a guy that had a whole lot of combat experience in Europe and Afirca before he was chosen for the Manhattan project.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Hi Bob,

Try Aeroclub in UK and if you do a search on Hamilton (cheers for the search term Dave),it shows the following plus link:

Product Code: P063 Name: 4 x HAMILTON STD 4 BLD 16' DIA L/H Price (Ex.): £4.04 Price (Inc.): £4.75 Description: No description Usage: B29/C97 Related items: None

Only thing is that you are not sure if they are 1/48 or1/72. Worthwhile checking though and it looks like they do ship worldwide if you have no supplier locally.

Reply to
SL

According to the Aeroclub webpage, P063 is 1/72 scale. They don't list any in 1/48 scale.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Ooh so close and yet soo far then.

Thanks for confirming anyway. Stephen.

Reply to
SL

so tell em to make em!!!

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Huh?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Just a thought: If the B-29 props are the same size as a P-47, you could buy four copies of the old Monogram P-47D bubbletop kit, which comes with Hamilton Standard prop.

I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

Hi All,

Just thinking and it may even be worthwhile getting in touch with Monogram for the new props that are now provided with the kit?

They may be helpful.

Reply to
SL

They are not. The P-47 prop is 13 feet in diameter. The B-29 prop is 16'

7" in diameter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

That was a joke.

Max

Reply to
M Bryant

I think they are pretty saavy about just sending out prop sprues for this kit. I mean there probably has been many a crafty gent that tried to go this route to fit out the older release. I know a guy in my club who bought the new issue and it was missing the new props. He contacted Revell/Monogram and I do believe they made him send in proof of purchase or the UPC from the new kit.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Those are 1/72 I'm pretty sure.