USN Starfighters ?

folks, Victory Models has a decal pkg in the new products section of FSM January issue, that suggests there were Starfighters with US Navy markings...

now I haven't been able to find a pic...

any reference photos out there ?

cheers Bill TGH

Reply to
Bill Daisley

"United States Navy Aircraft Since 1911" Swanborough and Bowers

Page 507: F-104A One example, (AF 6740) used by the navy as part of its general investigation into jet performance and handling in 1960.

Jack G

Reply to
Jack G

If I'm not wrong there were a couple at China Lake. I don't have the book at hand right now, but I think there are a couple of photos in the Squadron/Signal "F-104 In Action".

Reply to
Yuri

Well, I checked on the Squadron/Signal book:

there were in fact 3 Starfighters (2 F-104 A and an YF-104) on loan to test AIM-9 operations with a fast jet as the Navy's was still waiting for the F-8 to be delivered.

Only the YF-104 survived the test program, to be later converted to a drone, the other 2 crashed.

All the Navy Starfighter were at China Lake and sported an almost standard USAF paint scheme (natural metal with white wings) with "China Lake" on tail and wings and "Navy" on the fuselage. At least one Starfigher had a daygloo orange band below the windscreen.

Reply to
Yuri