Very OT: magazine subscriptions

Anyone else besides me getting mag renewal notices when the subscription does not expire for 8 or so months ???

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Yeah - FineScale seems to creep them up and keep creeping them up. I just ignore them.

...and they aren't the only ones - my professional society and a few other organizations I belong to seem to be doing the same thing with annual dues...

Reply to
Rufus

On many magazines they start a couple of month's after subscription starts with extend now, lock in today's low rate etc. - finally you're last issue is in the mail - that's the one I pay. They want to assure subscription levels as far into the future as possible to assure advertizing rates. We've had some of our favorites like Gourmet bite the dust this year - and compare a 1970s Playboy with a new one - about 20% the thickness now.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Val Kraut

yep, Playboy has changed. I have several 60-70's issues and they are thick! Unfortunately still filled with ugly airbrushed top heavy blondes.. But I subscribe cuz I got a cheap rate. Good articles

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I have also noted the inflation of prices. Another round of price increases seems to be going on.

The inflation site I use indicates that there has been roughly a factor of ten inflation since my early teen years when I first started buying model airplane magazines. They started at 25 cents and went to 35 and then 50 pretty quickly. That should make them today run 2.50 to 5.00, but I see them now running about 6 to 7 bucks. Of course, that web site is a little bit behind current inflation, and they were near five bucks awhile ago, which would be close to the fifty cent ones when I was a kid. So maybe they are not that far off. Still, there are some that are the first to hit me with the latest round, and I am really wondering if I want to continue getting those.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

There are articles in Playboy?

(Yeah, old joke, I know!)

Reply to
GordonD

Playboy? I told my lady...never read one...

Reply to
eyeball

Yes, American version has articles of clothing on the chair, sofa, towel bar, and so on. This qualifies as literature.

In Japan there used to be a customs inspector who would censor certain areas in the photos with a thick magic marker. So if you ever wondered why they made those huge magic markers, now you know.

Reply to
frank

...really interesting to compare the Japanese issues to a USA issue - for one thing, it's stapled on the opposite side. And the pictures, which may be from the same session, are different angle/poses...

Reply to
Rufus