Vought Vindicator V156F

Does anyone know if the French version of the Vindicator had dive
brakes on the lower wing?
I know they had them on the upper, but I have no photographic evidence
about the lower wing.
Regardless, I am looking for more sources on the Vindicator (US, French
or British), all I have now is the Squadron Signal book
Keith Walker
Reply to
keithwwalker
Get yourself a copy of the excellent "Wings of the Navy" by Capt. Eric "Winkle" Brown (if you don't have it already) and look up the section on the Vought Chesapeake. Of the V-156-F on P.21: "...the fence-type dive brakes previously rejected by the US Navy were introduced in the upper and lower surfaces of the outboard wing panels, and the swinging bomb displacement crutch, which ensured clearance of the propeller arc and the export of which was, for some inexplicable reason, denied by the US Navy, was omitted." The follow on order, for 50 aircraft, which ended up being build to V-156-B1 standard and ended up as Chesapeakes with the Fleet Air Arm, did not have the dive brakes, "...and use the undercarriage in lieu....I did not like as the undercarriage was not designed for such a function."
Jon.
Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell
Thanks Jonathan,
Just noticed that the 1/72 Azur boxart shows the lower air brakes clearly.
Keith Walker
[...]
news.verizon.net
Quoting Eric Brown:
IIRC I read somewhere that is was one of those "classified" kind of things.
Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN
Reply to
Don McIntyre
Classified from who?? The Germans had one on the Stuka allready.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Guess even back then there was animosity between the French and US!
Keith Walker
: D: > : > J: > : > Quoting Eric Brown: : > : > > ...and the swinging bomb displacement crutch, which : > > ensured clearance of the propeller arc and the export of which was, : > for some : > > inexplicable reason, denied by the US Navy, was omitted." : > : > IIRC I read somewhere that is was one of those "classified" kind of : > things. : > : Classified from who?? The Germans had one on the Stuka allready. : : Bill Shuey
Reply to
news.verizon.net