Wake Island Shore Batteries

a few days ago the Hx Channel had a show about Wake Island. One thing that really pissed off the Japanese was their accurate use of the
3 & 5?inch naval gun batteries.
anyone know if kits of such weapons were made?
Craig
Hello Craig
Tamiya and a few other comapnies made them in 1/35th scale
take care
George
George wrote:

never heard of them making such a unique subject. anyone know more about the shore based naval guns as models?
Craig
Airfix makes a shore battery in small scale - I belive 1:72.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby, Danmark
who me? wrote:

For What its worth, I have never seen any models of the U.S. Navy's 6"-51 Cal or the 3"-50 Cal. A.A. guns per se. I have seen small scale castings ( 1/350 or 1/192) meant to be used as detail parts for ship models of those scales.     The 6"-51 cal. was standard secondary battery armament for many W.W.I period battleships and the 3" -50 Cal A.A. was a standard Navy AA gun of the late 20's-early 30's. Both were used on ground mounts by the Marines at Wake and a number of other places.
                                Bill Shuey

The coast-defense guns were 5"-51s, not 6"-51s. AAA were 3"-50s as noted.
What was the real surprise, of the HX Channel's show on the battle for Wake Island, was the fact so many of those jarheads lived to see the end of the war. The Japanese just made the classic tactical blunder of under estimating an enemy whose backs were to the sea, and who were at that time, one of the better trained and dedicated members of their opponent's military. Still I thought the title 'Alamo of the Pacific' wasn't correct as the majority of the garrison survived the battle and later the war. Mike IPMS
Hi Guys: There are two parts to this thread. First, there is some comment about the shore batteries. If you are doping a small diorama I would recommend Raventhorpe miniatures available from RLBPS. They sell a very nice assortment of period US Marines along with a three inch gun and crew. The second part of the statement is best quoted from Mike Keown:

Mike is totally correct. In fact, my research into the battle indicates that Wake was to have been much more heavily fortified andequipped with at least two more squadrons of Marine fighters as well as land based bombers. It was bait to lure the Japanese closer to the Hawaiian Islands to fight a major naval battle with a full strength US Navy. The Defense Battalion was at half strength at this point and did not have enough riflemen to support the heavy weapon positions. The fact that the US tried, in vain, to reinforce and resupply the garrison indicates that it was not looked upon an "Alamo" but as a point of frontline resistance that ought to be supported. The US simply did not have the resources in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor to make the resupply work. It would have been interesting to see what might have happened if the Saratoga reinforcing convoy had been successful, or alternatively, the US Marines on Guam had been used to bolster Wake's garrison. We have done Wake Island several times as a war game and it has always played outvery closely to the historical outcome. Regards, Jerry