Weathering a Zero for 7 Dec

Been working on the Tamiya Zero, and was wondering about weathering, particularly for Dec 7. I've seen pics of various Japanese aircraft that look like they've been through a sandstorm, but as I recall, these were all painted dark green, not the gray I plan to use, and I don't know at what point in the war this may have been. Realizing Japan was at it with China before Pearl Harbor, but... What kind of condition might they have been at that point, and perchance were they repainted and spiffed up for this "special occasion"? And, since there were different manufacturers for Zeros, would that have any bearing on their condition? I know there are a lot of variables here, sorry, but I'd like to get it at least somewhat accurate. It will be on a table at the Region

5 this spring, and I'd rather not hear any nasty comments about what it should or should not be.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Under the circumstances--initial operations of the war, little or no flying for about a week before the attack, and the ritual significance of going off to war in the spiffiest possible airplane--I'd limit weathering to minimal exhaust staining and perhaps a bit of underside oil leakage.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Not much weathering at all I ould think, they hadn't been in service for very long.

WmB

WmB

Given the importance of this mission, it is highly probable that the Japanese trained for quite some time and till the last minute. How likely is it that they had spare planes reserved for training ?

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Three things:

  1. I assume by Tamiya Zero you mean the 1/48 A6M2b. The Tamiya 1/32 kit is an A6M5 and would have not been at Pearl Harbor.
  2. All the Zeros used at Pearl Harbor were brand new aircraft loaded onto the carriers for this mission and would have had no weathering to speak of.
  3. Green was not used on Zeros until late 1942 well into the Solomans Campaign, possibly even into the spring of 1943.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Almost certain. All flight training for the mission was completed before they ever left Japanese waters. And, as otherwise noted (though I hadn't heard it before), new aircraft were loaded for the mission.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm not even painting it gray as I had thought, but almost khaki. Never would have dreamed they were actually that color...who would have thought?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

What? Are you talking about Amerio? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Yep, that would be it. Apparently there was a big debate about what color that actually is. Sort of a tan/gray, more toward the tan side. Info found at

The colors used in this example were khaki, sky blue, yellow, green, black and white