WWII Japanese submarines designed to carry bomber aircraft

In case those who bought the Lindberg kits want some extra
information.......
Two Japanese submarines designed to carry bomber aircraft to launch
attacks on American cities during the Second World War have been found
on the sea bed off the coast of Hawaii.

The Old Man
Too bad they were sunk out of hand -- at least the National Air and Space Museum finally restored their Seiran and has it on display at the Uvar-Hazy facility.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
i14 and i forgot the other. plus a small one. should be more.
Reply to
someone
it wasn't casual but it was quick. the rooshans wanted them and the navy didn't want them to have them.
Reply to
someone
How did that Japanese sub compare in size to the giant French one, I think the spelling is Sercouf or something like that. It featured an 8 inch gun!
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Don Stauffer wrote in news:4b080600$0$48229$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:
Didn't the US Narwhal class have an 8 inch gun, too?
Reply to
Gray Ghost
I can't relate the two but I read an article in either Military History or Heritage some time ago on the Surcouf. That was an interesting attempt to make a submersible cruiser. It had quite a deep hull and a sizable crew for a sub.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
William Banaszak
the brit's had m1 and m2 with 12" guns. the gun was so huge that them2 later used the mount for an aircraft hangar.
Reply to
someone