WWII Japanese submarines designed to carry bomber aircraft

In case those who bought the Lindberg kits want some extra information.......

Two Japanese submarines designed to carry bomber aircraft to launch attacks on American cities during the Second World War have been found on the sea bed off the coast of Hawaii.

The Old Man

Too bad they were sunk out of hand -- at least the National Air and Space Museum finally restored their Seiran and has it on display at the Uvar-Hazy facility.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

i14 and i forgot the other. plus a small one. should be more.

Reply to
someone

it wasn't casual but it was quick. the rooshans wanted them and the navy didn't want them to have them.

Reply to
someone

How did that Japanese sub compare in size to the giant French one, I think the spelling is Sercouf or something like that. It featured an 8 inch gun!

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer wrote in news:4b080600$0$48229$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Didn't the US Narwhal class have an 8 inch gun, too?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I can't relate the two but I read an article in either Military History or Heritage some time ago on the Surcouf. That was an interesting attempt to make a submersible cruiser. It had quite a deep hull and a sizable crew for a sub.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

the brit's had m1 and m2 with 12" guns. the gun was so huge that them2 later used the mount for an aircraft hangar.

Reply to
someone