2007 crash crash crash

as much as we would all like to believe that windows is bad because of great market share and intense scrutiny, it just simply isn't the whole truth. windows just isn't and wasn't built very well. since windows is used on so many computers and is under such scrutiny, only gives us more reason to demand that it be better!

windows isn't hard because we are used to it. familiarity is the key.

bob z. only replied to this because of the "...we're sick of your [you're] same old story." bob z. isn't sick of it. bob z. likes it. bob z. enjoys turmoil. :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bobzee1

Pot, both platforms work, and so do others. I am not advocating one platform, and indeed use whatever 'works'.

Don't take things so personally, as the original poster writing is not used to doing a lot of Sherlock work with his Windows system, judging by his straightforward comments.

I have never had SolidWorks "Crash, Crash, Crash", but one can imagine that if it is happening, and someone is not as well versed in Windows, then take an upgrade path that involves minimum risk and learning curve, with maximum chance to make SolidWorks run right.

Getting good work done with minimum effort is an admirable way to run a shop. That is all I want to do. Simplification is one of those things that goes against the grain of "All In One" hardware and systems. People tend to "pile on" things on their computer, thinking they will be able to keep everything running fine, when in fact we see too many problems with that approach.

Microsoft is apparently modularising their new OS, Vista, so MS sees the value in trying to simplify in its own way. Microsoft themselves has just started recommending reformat and reinstall of Windows as the best solution when Malware takes over, as opposed to malware removal tools. Hence, I really don't see my comments as being very far from what Microsoft already recommends.

Thus, I might even be considered a Microsoft booster! My Win XP Pro does NOT do CTDT.

Bo

FlowerPot wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Straighforward is a good indicator of what?

Bo wrote:

Reply to
RaceBikesOrWork

Sorry, it was Boeher who noted "New to this game, what is a CTD?"

Too many posts, too few neurons active before a big holiday.

Bo

RaceBikesOrWork wrote:

Reply to
Bo

It sounds like he is saying you aren't too good with computers.

He seems impressed with his own skills, though.

Reply to
FlowerPot

but, isn't 'desktop' one word? bob z. did a search in this newsgroup and found CTD mentioned over 200 times and CTDT mentioned less than a hundred. hmm... something to think about!

please take no offense by this reply. bob z. holds no preference of one over the other. bob z. was just curious, so he looked. :~)>

bob z. p.s. everybody's working for the weekend...

Reply to
bobzee1

Wrong impression.

I readily admit I only acquire the skills I need to get the job done. I am not particularly impressed with OS management skills. Some people get a kick out of it, and thats fine for them. I can not administer a workgroup and do intense technical Windows management as I don't have the time to learn. I can't make money that way. Lots of people are in the same boat.

I AM VERY IMPRESSED with designers who can turn out creative problem solving new product designs. That is impressive. I've seen a lot of terrific SolidWorks models (& others) that are impressively creative over the years.

Different people, different strokes, different answers, more blokes creating terrific designs.

This Usenet group offers a wide array of hints and tips, and that is what is great, because so many different solutions come to the table.

Bo

FlowerPot wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I think what I am getting at is that you are a one-topic poster. You only post on how much MS sucks. OK, we get it. Move on.

As for designer creativity, in my view it amounts to how closely you can mimic current trends or parrot what you read in the magazines or art school.

Reply to
FlowerPot

Good comments. MS doesn't suck. Don't think I've used that term, though XP Pro has caused me problems in the past, which were frustrating.

OS: I'ld have to agree that MS's XP Pro now runs as good as anything I've used, with very minor exceptions, which every OS has. SolidWorks caused me to learn how to deal well with XP, and its great for what I use it for now.

Design: I tend to look at designs for creative functional & manufacturability capabilities, as opposed to esthetics, as that is the arena I work in. Particularly I am looking at the designs which are showing things which can be made faster, smaller, fewer pieces, more cost effectively, and with automation or in-mold assembly, giving lower end product cost with better features.

Creative shapes, and consumer interface esthetics and such are something I see in retail products, but I don't design that type of product. Still, I admire truly good consumer products.

A design that is mundane, but funtionally better in a widely used consumer product has to be the Heinz bottom dispensing catsup bottle using the over-center elastomeric valve from Liquid Molding Systems off the patent by Drobish, 4,728,006. It solves user interface, cleanliness & functional problems whiles still being an attractive bottle.

Some of these simple one, two or three piece products are very clever, and worth learning from.

Bo

FlowerPot wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Today in business: Heinz revenue up 8% and profits up 23%.

Heinz must be doing more things right, than just catsup.

Bo

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I hope this doesn't 'out' me or get me into an trouble, but frankly I'm with BO on his/her/its post.

I want to spend my time designing stuff, not monitoring and nursing my system. I put up with the added responsibility of system maintenece (grudgingly, and frankly not as much or diligently as I ought to) because we all have to, but I would hope at some point the providers of our software could be able to deliver on the following relationship:

Me - Designer / You (SWx) - software engineer. Me- Design stuff / You (Swx) - take care of the software thing

And now we enter the disclaimers: (yes I understand its complciated and all systems are different and if you are sloppy and get viruses and junk and look at naughty websites or any websites frankly what can they do and how can they possibly deal with every variation of driver on every piece of hardware and all of the other software on your system and what if you spill a coke on the keyboard then isn't it your fault that SWx doesn't work and boy oh boy Linux is a gift from god and if they would just port it over that would be the swellest thing on earth but it aint never going to happen and anyone who says otherwise is a jughead and etc etc etc).

I just want to load my software and work, then go home. Is that really so bad a goal?

Ed

Reply to
ed1701

We think somewhat alike Ed.

I would like to make a confirming note as I tried to upgrade SWks 2006 sp3.4 to sp5.0 today.

The installer could NOT find the right confirming file on the original SWks 2006 Sp1.0 CD (though SP 3.4 upgraded from said same CD) in order to allow the installer to do the upgrade.

Frankly, that is not something the user should have to deal with. This is right in where SolidWorks needs to put more work in their software systems. This should have been one of my 10 Top Improvements: Make the Installers Work 100%.

My VAR, did NOT know what to do with the problem (quoth the VAR, "We haven't downloaded and installed SP 5.0 yet.")

SP 5.0 is NOT installing, & I am going home for a good long weekend.

Bo

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Hmmmm... I have SW 2007 on 2 machines, no troubles.. I just got done building a new mold, 2 week turnaround, not a hint of trouble... a few crashes, but mainly due to my CW add in...I even reinstalled SW2007 when I got the disks this week (Uninstall web DL and installed off DVD)... they really fixed the install..used to take an hour or more, now it takes me 10 min and all done...

At the shop, I have a Spaceball 4000, home I run a Toshiba laptop...

Reply to
cd

Good news, SP1.0EV solves my problem.

Lesson re-learned, no SP0.0 installs.