Anyone work on design teams in SW?

We have 3 designers working on a common project, each of us in different areas of the product we are designing. I've found that SW stinks when in comes to having more than one user trying to work on one assembly. It's so bad that I can't even do my detail drawings while another designer has an assembly open with the part in it that I'm trying to detail. How do you guys get around this? I came from inventor, and it handled this quite smoothly.

Thanks.

Reply to
Barna Madau

You should be able to do it with little problem...

You just have to set the option "open referenced documents as read only" in tools options,

Then when you want to edit a part just reload that part with read/write access.

I think they teach this in the level 2 class at your VAR, try that.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

They never taught me that at my training! :-( Who sets the option you mention, the one who opens the assembly? Sorry but it's not very clear to me.

You can't fix stupid!

Reply to
pete

There are tools and settings in SW to enable this kind of collaboration. However, each user will have to put in a little thought and study on how SW functions in a group environment.

  1. TOOLS/OPTIONS/EXTERNAL REFERENCES The first two check boxes should be checked. Read the help for this dialog box and understand it. Find Matt Lombards website from the NG and go to rules of thumb. Read the documentation he provides on options settings.

  1. Read the help on Reload

  2. Read the help on replace

  1. Get a copy of the PDMWorks training manual and read and understand the first 2 chapters. They have nothing to do with PDMWorks. They explain how SW behaves in a multiuser environment.

SolidWorks is configurable. Out of the box it is setup for solo users. When collaborating it is your responsibility to set it up for group use.

One thing you have to bear in mind about any CAD system that resides in memory on a local computer. The model being worked on with each PC is local to that PC and is not shared in the memory of the other PCs.

Barna Madau wrote:

Reply to
kellnerp

Set it when working on the drawing, I'd say. Also, make sure that tools/options/system options/"Automatically generate names for referenced geometry" is turned off, as recommended by the help. I think it's off by default, but it would be good to check.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That setting must be set on each computer. Go to: Tools\Options\System Options Tab then select External References

Once you put a check next to "Open Referenced Documents with Read-Only Access", it will stay set that way for all files you open, and for all times you begin SolidWorks...until you uncheck it.

Ken

Reply to
kema

We should mention that to someone new, using "Open Ref.... Read-Only" it is

*VERY* easy to lose your work. My office uses this methodology at my insistence and it comes with some caveats... files are first come first serve. The first person to open an assembly or part "owns" it. Owning an assembly does not mean you own the parts. Subsequent files opened from an assembly are read-only, allowing others full access to them when they use file open. This allows someone to edit a part, or subassy, or work on drawings even though someone has the parent assembly open.

The problem is that Solidworks doesn't necessarily give you a warning that a file is read-only accept a notation in the titlebar of Solidworks. When you're in crunch time it's easy to forget that for the last two hours you've been making changes that you can't save. You must then do a song and dance to save-as your file somewhere and then use a file manager to copy it over the one you had open read-only. There are other tricks, like going back to an assy when you get the warning about not being able to save, and right-clicking the part to say "edit". This is turn gives you ownership of the part you have open. When you go back to the part you'll see the titlebar no longer shows read-only. But this trick isn't always reliable (ouch). Solidworks basically isn't built to do multi-user. That's why PDMWorks was bundled in the first place, to address these limitations for the majority of scenarios. A little better forethought on the programmers' part and we would have had an option for "Open for edit" directly from the assy. This would address 90% of what you need. As for me, I chose DBWorks to take care of this stuff but I haven't had time to roll it out because we're in crunch time from now until the end of the year.

As "kellnerp" said, read up on reload and replace. Then work carefully. And everyone must work the same way to get this stuff to behave (if you call it that).

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Yeah, we've changed our options on our external reference thingy, and now I see what you mean. Talk about a curse. If I open an assembly, that no one has open, nor any of it's part, and I try to open a part in that assembly to edit, my computer does prompt me, but none the less it is till read only. A co worker can open it to edit, but why can't I? Talk about a curse. We constantly open parts to edit out of our assemblies as we are designing, and opening and closing the assembly is not practical for a lot a reasons, mostly time.

Can you explain your work-a-round in better detail? When I click edit on a part, it throws the same message that the part is open for read only. Is

2004 better at this?

Reply to
Barna Madau

Barna,

I have a dll add-in that someone on this news group sent to me that will prompt to open the read only file with write access when you open it from an assembly. It works quite well with reference files set to open as read only. If you wish a copy let me know and I'll send it to you.

Remove the *DeleteThis* from my e-mail address to reply directly to me.

Dave H

Barna Madau wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

If you're going to work in groups, you really need to get a PDM system. It doesn't cost much or take much work to install the simpler systems and it sure saves a lot of hassle. In this same situation, I just click on "Checkout & Open" and the part or assembly is mine to do with as I like.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger