Application to report RAM Usage?

We are thinking of having an application run in the background to prompt User once their RAM has max'ed out and their computer is paging to the hard drive. Or maybe prompt them once 80% of the RAM is being used so they are aware and can start thinking about a good time to shut down SolidWorks and restart.

I saw a post one time that someone had written an application that would pop up a dialog box once a certain amout of RAM useage was reached, but I have been unable to find that post again? Does anyone remember what thread that was in?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

It is built into Windows. Look for Performance Monitor. It will record ram usage and then you can play it back. Since you have no direct control over memory usage why would you want user's to see this as they are working?

Other than that why not look at TUCOWS?

Reply to
TOP

You could try this :

Pascal

"Tin Man" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
news

We have a lot of Users that just keep right on designing once they're into the paging file and even up to the ~1.3GB range where they will crash. What I was looking for was something to run silently in the background, then only pop up once a certain threshold of RAM usage has been reached. This is meant to be an early warning, something along the lines of "Your available RAM is getting low. Save and close SolidWorks before you crash." I am more interested in popping up a warning message then asking them to actually manually monitor the usage.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

To avoid the crashing use the 3gb switch and adjust your paging files accordingly. Then you can get up to 2.6Gb. If exceeding RAM happens often then you can probably buy more RAM cheaper than you can have your guys sitting around waiting.

I would advise monitoring them with Perfmon and using the results to justify getting more RAM.

For example:

$189 for 2GB.

Reply to
TOP

If they aren't taking any notice of the performance hit that must result when the system starts to use a page file, then I'm not sure they will pay attention to a pop-window either.....

John Harland

Reply to
John H

On my old system I used a programme called Cacheman, mainly to work with large PhotoWorks projects.

It attempts to recover RAM when the the free RAM is below a certain user defined point, a pop up window informs you that free RAM is below this predefined point before it attempts the recovery.

There is a free version of the software, which is what I used. It has saved me many a crash to desktop when working with PhotoWorks.

John Layne

John Layne

FreeRAM Xp Pro

Reply to