Assembly Configuration Question.

Issue - Problem with Assembly Configuration.

Case -

Parts (P1.sldprt & P2.sldprt) geometries are driven by Sub- Assembly's (SA.sldasm) another Part (LayoutPart.sldprt)sketch.

"Layout-Part" has different Configurations in order to control Sub-Assembly's (SA.sldasm) different Configurations.

Now In Main Assembly (MA.sldasm) I am trying to use different configurations of Sub-Assembly [SA(1) & SA(2)].

Here the problem rise, I couldn't have different configurations of SA in MA. It takes only the last saved configuration of SA, even though I have used the "use named configuration" option in properties dialogue box.

Doubts-

There is no problem with this way of building a Main Assembly using Bottom-Up approach.

Is this a limitation of SW?

If so, is anybody having any other idea to resolve this issue?

Thankyou, JRat

Reply to
JRat

Can't have configurations of a sub assembly in another assembly. Are you rebuilding with CTRL Q? This sounds strange to me. I'm not contradicting as I will check it out later when I can.

JRat wrote:

Reply to
P.

Yes i tried with Ctrl+Q and even reopened the MA file. The Sub-Asembly configuration is always refers to "last saved configuration" of SA.

I am using SW 2004 SP03 in DELL Precision 360.

Thankyou, JRat.

Reply to
JRat

Just a suggestion: To eliminate possible problems with "This config", "That config" etc. (Manual Method.) Try using a Design Table to control configurations. (Document Method). One of our modeling rules is: All "Multi-Configuration" Models (Parts or Assys) must be controlled by a Design Table. We have not seen the or message in years!

Reply to
Eddie

is it possible that the config you are trying to reference is Derived. If you aren't careful with derived configs they will go batty when editing the main config.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Doh, now I remember. There is a writeup on this in the knowledgebase. The top level assembly can only resolve one configuration of the layout part. Betcha that whatever config of the layout is active is what you get.

Reply to
P.

This is not true. We have many top-level assemblies with sub-assemblies defined as different sized configurations. This in and of itself is not an issue. If you RMB on a sub and select properties, there is a selection for "Use named configration" Also, there is a "Use component's "in-use" or last saved configuration. I believe this last selection gets stuck sometimes. That is why we use design tables, exclusively!

Reply to
Eddie

I couldn't find the writeup but I could duplicate the problem.

P1 is a sketch only part A1 is an assembly with P1, P2 and P3 P2 and P3 are driven off P1 through A1 A1 has two configs as does P1. They are tied together so that when A1 changes P1 changes updating P2 and P3. A2 contains A1. The behavior of the parts P2 and P3 now has nothing to do with the configuration of P1.

SW has been like this for years. The original writeup went back to SW99. The problem comes when you drive a part through another part with configurations in a subassembly.

Reply to
P.