Assembly copy

I have an assembly and all referenced parts in the same directory. How can I copy assembly and all parts to different directory so assembly references parts in a new directory?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

One of the easiest ways is to copy everything to the new one, rename the old directory to something else so the references can't be found, open the assy, and when it asks you to point to the first part, do it and it will then find all the rest. Then save and you are done.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

File > Find References > Copy files (do not duplicate the directory structure). That will catch EVERYTHING. You can also use SolidWorks Explorer, but the Find References way is faster unless you have SW Explorer up all the time and you're used to its interface.

'Sporky'

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Sile>Save as...>(show your new folder)>References>Select all>Browse (show folder for your files - default it will be folder which you'll show in save as box)>OK>Save

That's what I use for "clean projects"...Sometimes in projects folder I have so many parts and sub-assy which I won't use in finally project. So I'm using save with references and SolidWorks is copying only these files that are in use...SWX doesn't copy drawing files...this is bad...

Regards zygzag

Uzytkownik "Alex" napisal w wiadomosci news:PRKZc.10874$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
zygzag

File --> Save As --> References (lower right) -->

Select all --> Browse..(to new location) --> Ok --> Save (change name of top level if you want it different)

That moves all files to the directory you specified. Essentially it's doing a save as to all of the files. It's the easiest way I've found to do this. No searching for files after you open up the file in the new directory.

Later

Reply to
Craig Schultz

Three people have suggested the Find References method, and I almost mentioned that in my reply also. However, that didn't address his direct question. Now, no flames here, as I agree that sometimes the direct answer to a question isn't always the proper one.

There is an issue with Find References in that it does, in fact, copy everything. We have all of our hardware, etc on our Z: drive and reference it from there so we don't have multiple copies in all the job folders. If I want to "pack and go" then the Find References method is the way to go. But if I know I have all the job specific parts in one location, and want to copy the project without making copies of the Z: parts, e.g. keeping the references to Z: intact, then renaming the original folder is the way to go.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Gee, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the tip. I still use the `find file references' when shipping the job to another customer. I never thought of using your method for `internal' use. Sounds like it could come in handy.

jk

Reply to
jk