Autodesk at it again

I was just at the Comp CAD SW newsgroup and found this

It looks innocent enough when you follow the link but once there you are asked a series of questions about how bad SW software is. The interesting part, if you read the fine print at the bottom you discover Autodesk is behind the entire thing. Isn't Autodesk just making themselves look bad with this low ball marketing ploy?

Has anyone else seen this?

Reply to
Rock Guy

That just stinks too much to actually be an autodesk poll. Even if you look at the whois info. Oddly(?), the nameservers don't match those of autodesk.com.

-john

Reply to
John J

You found it where?

I thought Ad$k was busy keepin' Alibre away from the low hangin' fruit. `;^)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I was at this newsgroup (on google) and this link was listed under the "Sponsored Links" section to the left of the screen. It was listed as SolidWorks User Survey.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Ah, I see.

""My experience with SolidWorks so far has been negative. The software constantly crashes." - SolidWorks customer"

I guess the mechanical solutions advertising budget must be down this year. `;^)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Sorry, I can't take it anymore. First of all the topic was AutoDesk. Second of all, it had to do with SW Bashing. Third you are an ass-hole!!! So, take your VX comments, jam them up your ass side-ways and stay the hell off of this site. As a matter of fact, while your jamming VX up your ass, jam the little hampster "Cliff" up there too! There are very few people that actually see your comments anymore because you have been blocked. I will be blocking you & Cliff so the both of you will no longer exist. Have a nice life, Adios Ass Holes

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie,

So,,,, How do you "REALLY" feel ????

;>)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Mark, I'm sorry, I do apologize. I'm venting at the end of the year in preparation of the new improved/relaxed/low-key individual I want to be in 2006. I thought I'd get everything out at once. I've sat back and listened to John & Cliff hoping that they'd come to some kind of agreement and that the criticisms from others here on this forum would make them mellow. I guess I just reached a boiling point. Again, my apologies to all and to everyone, "Happy New Year". Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie,

I think that your frustration is shared with all of us. The content here should be only SolidWorks related. We need to petition the admin of this group to block users who post non-SolidWorks related data.

As far as AutoDesk and that poll, here is the WHOIS data.

[whois.schlund.info]

% The data in the WHOIS database of Schlund+Partner AG is provided by % Schlund+Partner for information purposes, and to assist persons in % obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration % record. Schlund+Partner does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting % a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful % purposes and that, under no circumstances, you will use this data to % (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass % unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via E-mail % (spam); or % (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to % Schlund+Partner or its systems. % Schlund+Partner reserves the right to modify these terms at any time. % By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

domain: productqualitypoll.com created: 09-Dec-2005 last-changed: 09-Dec-2005 registration-expiration: 09-Dec-2006

nserver: ns29.1and1.com 217.160.224.2 nserver: ns30.1and1.com 217.160.228.2

status: CLIENT-TRANSFER-PROHIBITED

registrant-firstname: Brandservices registrant-lastname: Department registrant-organization: Autodesk,Inc. registrant-street1: 111 Mcinnis PKWY registrant-pcode: 94903 registrant-state: CA registrant-city: San Rafael registrant-ccode: US registrant-phone: +1.4155075000 registrant-fax: +1.7077813711 registrant-email: snipped-for-privacy@autodesk.com

admin-c-firstname: Brandservices admin-c-lastname: Department admin-c-organization: Autodesk,Inc. admin-c-street1: 111 Mcinnis PKWY admin-c-pcode: 94903 admin-c-state: CA admin-c-city: San Rafael admin-c-ccode: US admin-c-phone: +1.4155075000 admin-c-fax: +1.7077813711 admin-c-email: snipped-for-privacy@autodesk.com

tech-c-firstname: Hostmaster tech-c-lastname: ONEANDONE tech-c-organization: 1&1 Internet Inc. tech-c-street1: 701 Lee Rd. tech-c-street2: Suite 300 tech-c-pcode: 19087 tech-c-state: PA tech-c-city: Chesterbrook tech-c-ccode: US tech-c-phone: +1.8774612631 tech-c-fax: +1.6105601501 tech-c-email: snipped-for-privacy@1and1.com

bill-c-firstname: Hostmaster bill-c-lastname: ONEANDONE bill-c-organization: 1&1 Internet Inc. bill-c-street1: 701 Lee Rd. bill-c-street2: Suite 300 bill-c-pcode: 19087 bill-c-state: PA bill-c-city: Chesterbrook bill-c-ccode: US bill-c-phone: +1.8774612631 bill-c-fax: +1.6105601501 bill-c-email: snipped-for-privacy@1and1.com

% See

for information about Schlund+Partner AG

As you can see the domain is registered to Autodesk!!!

Reply to
SWX-VAR-JP

You can tell it's all downhill when the advertising gets more press attention than the product. I hear Autodesk is dumping CAD and going into Show Biz. Good move. They can't ride on the shoulders of Acad forever.

Reply to
Big Kahuna

Jon,

I have seen and already tried VX. It reminds me of IRONCAD.

Ya VX is cheaper, but so is ANVIL, DataCAD, GenericCAD, IRONCAD(was),Rhino, and every other one that has come and gone.

But one thing stays the same, you get what you pay for.

I am not saying that we should not talk about other CAD packages here, just that I don't want to be sold VX. Or hear how great it is, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........

By the way, do you work for VX?

Reply to
SWX-VAR-JP

Jon,

I have seen VX and even used the demo. I was reminded of another program as I was checking it out, IRONCAD.

It seems like a good program if I was a machinist.

I was not saying that we shouldn't discuss other CAD packages, just that we should not be trying to sell them to each other.

Do you work for VX?????

Reply to
SWX-VAR-JP

Reply to
G. De Angelis

Although this is a lopsided and unscientific poll, AutoDesk made no attempt in hiding the fact that they sponsor it. In fact, the "fine print" saying it is a AutoDesk poll is not really fine print, it looks to be the exact same font size as the actual questions.

Rock Guy wrote:

Reply to
haulin79

I quickly completed their poll, just so I could see the results. If you look at the results of their poll, it actually isn't that bad. Their results are probably better than what a similar poll would be for windows. Everything, except for the question about Solidworks spending enough time debugging and testing software was 10% or fewer having problems. Actually I think that speaks well of the software. If only they would spend more time debugging the software.

The following is what the results of the poll are as of 1/5/06:

"12% of users find SolidWorks software slow when working with large assemblies. 10% find that SolidWorks crashes too often. 9% have experienced data loss when importing and exporting DWG file to or from SolidWorks. 7% have had SolidWorks corrupt files. 21% think SolidWorks does not spend enough time testing their software before they release it. 10% rely on AutoCAD or DWG-based products to finish some drawings. "

Reply to
YouGoFirst