Reporting Companies using Hacked Solidworks

I recently reported a company I had dealings with for using hacked versions of Solidworks to both Solidworks and FAST - The Federation Against Software Theft (UK only?). The result being that they contacted the company and asked them if they were using illegal copies. Of course they said no and painted me as a malicious disaffected former employee. The company then had their lawyer send me a letter threatening me with legal action if I repeated the allegation. Apparently what they lack in integrity they make up for in boldness. For the record the company P.A.C.T. Engineering (Scotland) Ltd. possesses no Solidworks licenses but uses it as there only design package and had at least 3 seats installed. They also routinely download and install any package they think they want. To my direct knowledge they have Cosmosworks, Camworks, PADS PCB and various MS OS's. I expected a more vigorous intervention would result from my report. It seems companies can easily download Solidworks and install it without any fear of legal repercussions. It makes me wonder why people bother paying for it.

Reply to
alDman

What proof do you have that the SolidWorks they use is illegal? I'm not a fan of software theft, but if you are the only one saying this you might be on shaky ground, allegations true or not. I am rather surprised that SW or FAST told them your name.

Reply to
TOP

It was common knowledge. I watched them download and install it. They took pleasure in how easy it was. I don't think SW or FAST gave them my name, they just assumed it was me.

Reply to
alDman

Sure they weren't just downloading a new release or an SP under their maintenance contract from SW?

Reason I ask is I've downloaded new releases and updates for software at work and can clearly remember remarking how much easier it is these days to download it than wait for CD's or the VAR to come over and install the stuff for us. Regards, Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff

Naw they were getting hacked versions that are commonly available on the web. They had no licenses, no dongles. They made no effort to conceal the fact that they were stealing. They acted like they were proud of it.

Reply to
alDman

Well...if P.A.C.T. doesn't have licenses, your note here on the WWW means the VAR near P.A.C.T. Engineering certainly knows about it now!

In the U.S., the ultimate defense against libel is the truth. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true. If I state something as a fact that specifies an individual is a criminal, and he can prove he is not & show intent to harm, I will likely suffer the fate of the jury's monetary verdict against me.

Reply to
Bo

You witness, report. SolidWorks looks into it. They find no Wrong. Bye.

Reply to
That70sTick

I am writing this letter to persuade you that P.A.C.T. Engineering LTD's insanity has reached record levels. I will persuade you of this by providing a few examples and illustrations of the way in which P.A.C.T. Engineering LTD seeks to cheat on taxes. What follows is a call to action for those of us who care -- a large enough number to comment on its modes of thought. Is there a way to counter P.A.C.T. Engineering LTD's fastidious, sinister slurs? Oh yes, there is a way. It's really quite simple and can be done by any individual. It doesn't cost a thing, monetarily. It requires only time, diligence, and a desire to complain about abusive suborners of perjury. That's all I have time now to write. If you want to get more insight into P.A.C.T. Engineering LTD's mentality, though, then study the details of its commentaries. Try to see the big picture: It will amaze you. It will take your breath away. And it will convince you that it has been, and is, my great undertaking to increase awareness and understanding of our similarities and differences.

Reply to
cadishaq