automated model "patching"?

greets all. wasn't sure how to title this. am wondering if it is possible to generate .. lets say.. "update patches" for solidworks models.. something that would eliminate the need to keep transferring large models for minor updates.

Here's what I'd like it to do:

- run a comparison between two files (one updated, one old)

- generate some kind of executable that contains only the changes

- send only this executable to customers/clients

- they run the update on the old model they already have

When I can, of course, I send only the updated components .. but sometimes changes affect such a large portion -- I'd be great to just send an "update" instead of resending the entire model.

What're the chances?

Thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
post

The first part of that functionality is in SW if you have Utilities. It will compare Assemblies and report on what is different from a geometrical point of view. Some PDM systems will also track what has been changed. Utilities will also compare parts.

As far as a "patch" executable in the sense of a software patch, that does not exist. The best you can do is pack up the files in a way that when unzipped in the right folder they will drop into the same folder structure that they have in the original assembly.

If you are thinking of "patching" a part within itself all I can think of is whole part replacement.

The most problematic is "patching" part and assembly drawings. If you replace features or parts in an assembly it is likely the drawings may lose track of edges and therefore develop the "dangles" which manifest themselves in brown stuff all over the print.

TOP

Reply to
TOP