Stripping Glossy Paint off Car Model

Hi All,

I really messed a glossy white paint job on a car model that i am building and need a little help. I think there are many ways to do this but......what is the easiest most effective way to STRIP off the glossy white paint from my model ??

Thnks

Reply to
Stretch_5

What kind of paint is it?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I can think of several; brake fluid, Strip-a-Kit, made by one of our group here, Scale-Coat Washaway and Easy-Off Oven Cleaner.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Reply to
Bill Wesley

a soak in brake fluid does a good job

Reply to
Shawn

You'll get a lot of conflicting opinions as to what's "easiest" or "most effective".

My personal preference is oven cleaner, partly because it works well, and partly because it's something I'd normally have on hand even if I didn't use it on models.

Spray the oven cleaner on the model, let sit for 15-30 minutes, then rinse with water and scrub with an old toothbrush. You might have to do it a second time to get all the paint. It won't harm the plastic, but it can cause some putties to turn brittle and crack.

Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area, and wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. Some modelers seal the model in a large zip-lock bag while it's soaking, to contain the fumes and to keep it from drying out.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

"Wayne C. Morris" wrote in

Works for me... but I bought a big clear el-cheapo Tupperware type container to put it in... helps keep all the bits in one place. I also scrub it off in the hottest water I can stand - I find it helps shift the oven cleaner. Then I give it a wash with one of the spray-and-wipe type detergents, just to make sure - oven cleaner's caustic, and it keeps right on working, even after you've sprayed new paint on over the top, so make sure you get it all.

Brake fluid works, but I find that it tends to make the plastic brittle. Some paints, however, seem to need that extra oomph to shift them.

RobG

Reply to
RobG

Reply to
Denise

How do you use the Castrol super clean ?? Scrub the model ? Soak the model in it ??

Thanks

Reply to
Stretch_5

As I understand, you soak the model in it. There may be some light scrubbing after the soak.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

refer to all the methods described under =

"Paints, Colour Charts, Mix Formulae & Strippers & How to spray F/Glass and ABS plastics"

Alclad 2 - Model Lacquers - Natural metal finish lacquer Chemical Compatibility of Common Model Finishing Materials Colour Cross Reference Colour Reference Charts - Part 1 = Urban Fredriksson's Colour Reference Charts - Part II = Urban Fredriksson's How to Spray Paint F/glass & ABS plastics Humbrol Paint Cross Reference Page Klass Kote - 2 pot fuel resistant epoxy resins MIG productions - pigments Paint Strippers for plastic models etc. Tamiya Paint Mix Formulae USN & USMC WWII & contenporary

at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

We call it 'taking the purple bath'. I use a retired plastic diaper wipe box (It has a lid, but stuff like a 1/25 Imperial may be a bit too long for it.) filled with CSC. Pop the parts in overnight and then rinse thoroughly the next day.

It, too, is a strong caustic solution like the oven cleaners. Observe all package precautions.

-- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger