Better to have multiple simple features, or 1 complex feature?

I assume the design contests to which you are referring were cases where participants submitted an interesting project and all of the entries were compared, ranked, etc. based upon one or more criteria. In my experience, such a process is very subjective since the entries don't necessarily have alot in common.

In contrast, I am proposing a situation where the task is very explicitly defined and all of the entries will be very similar. Everyone will be trying to generate the same thing, although possibly via different methods. Such an approach will allow for more direct comparisons between entries.

Is this idea any more interesting than standard design contests? Or, will it just be one more contest that is largely ignored by the users?

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

My two cents:

Marketing cr#p intended to benefit a software developer or fluff journalism. The Design Contests are interesting nonetheless.

My hat's off to Peer and his efforts to set up and maintain the modeling challenge idea. It's something that benefits users. Those users are not necessarily contestants, as finished models are available for deconstruction, tutorial purposes.

I've thought, in the past, going 'cross platform' would be interesting. It would be a source of irritation or satisfaction to product boosters for sure. More importantly it would be the first, that I know of, database of info going beyond banquerism; demonstrating different software when applied to a range of identical modeling tasks. Something users might find interesting and informative unless spoiled by boosters' bickering. If the "trade press" weren't afraid of stepping on toes, risking the loss of advertising dollars they'd host it and base a series of monthly articles on it, or am I overestimating the potential interest or the nature of "press"?

Even without going cross platform it's a pretty neat idea assuming people willing to donate the time can be found and there's user interest.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Perhaps a series of 'interesting modelling challenges' ? Maybe a 2 weekly one...how about a SW tee shirt prize...could be posted out anywhere in the world?...maybe SW would oblige in the interests of good publicity and community spirit ;o) One of the things I miss about this group of late is the absence of the 'find a soln to this' posts where people generously have a go at fixing problems or finding clever methods. A bit of diversionary fun but it got me thinking about how to use the program features to the max....a really good way to extend your skills and also enlightening to see others often better methods...

Reply to
neil

I've never been much for contests. Probably for the same reasons you propound. Your idea sounds like the SW Challenge offered at SWW every year. That's a good challenge but it would be hard to evaluate over the NG. Something like this sounds like a job for the National SW User's group as they could no doubt come up with a decent prize.

We had a sort of a challenge a while back when I made the statement that SW might not really be a solid modeler. A couple guys came up with some ingenious solutions.

Reply to
TOP

Paul, I'm on it. I have contacted John off line with a similar suggestion. We will be putting something together and getting the SWUGN folks involved. You're right - they have the best goodies!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle