Carpet/Vinyl Covering

Hi

I am trying to design a wooden speaker cabinet that is covered with carpet and a metal chassis inserted. The cabinet part is easy, the metalwork part is easy, but because the cabinet is carpet covered, it will add around 4mm to the inside of the cabinet (thickness of the carpet, where it is pulled under and fixed.) At the moment I can't see an easy way of showing the carpet and I have a 4mm gap between the metal work and the woodwork which in theory the carpet will fill. if designing the metalwork in context of the assembly, it's not easy to allow for the extra carpet.

Q. Does anyone have a bright idea how to allow for the carpet thickness?

Q. Is it possible to 'Skin' something? as on some character 3d modellers?

or indeed, am I just missing something.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to