CATIA to Solidworks conversion

Has anyone converted files from CATIA to SW2001+ or newer? If yes, how well did it work? I would like to maintain the assembly data from CATIA to do exploded views in SW and would appreciate any experiences you all have had.

NC

Reply to
Jamnot

You will have no associativity OR interoperability. Revision & version control issues as well.

Pain in the A** if you ask me. Cans of worms in cans of worms.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Jamnot,

Ver4 (UNIX) or version 5 ? Helluva big difference.

Version 5 can be read in as a STEP AP214 assembly, If your client has the STEP tran$$$lator. I have heard that they bundle it with some of their pricier configs.

The parts will (should) read into an assembly with the correct spatial relationships, but no mates. They will be dumb solids.

Version 4 doesn't have any translation options (that actually work) for moder CAD systems. Your best bet here would be a third party translator, or a service bureau.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

There is a 3rd party translator that I have used successfuly. Can't rememba what it was called, but it worked well. Gave you dumb solids, but (4 the models I had) featureworks fixed that.

Reply to
Tracey Parker

Hi,

Look at the info here;

Gunnar

Reply to
Gunnar

Reply to
Bill

bitching at Dassault, then...

no it's definitely not. The 2 software have not much in common (except the owner), not even the kernel (Parasolid / ACIS)!

What we need is a standard, non-properietary format to represent the /feature) structure of a design, not its resulting geometry as STEP or IGES. Join me in the

effort!

Philippe Guglielmetti -

Philippe Guglielmetti

I can help you. We have the only Gold partner product called FormatWorks

for translation/repair/healing for SolidWorks. With this product gettting

CATIA into SolidWorks is not a problem.

Sincerely,

Lyle Fischer Technical Marketing Director Capvidia

507 794-5447 507 794-5446 (fax) 507 276-2379 (Mobile)

Reply to
Lyle Fischer

Cliff,

Here are a few distinctive features of FormatWorks:

  1. It is not just a translator. It also provides automatic repair and healing of up to 50 different problems that can occur in the translation process. FormatWorks comes with its own IGES translator and does a wonderful job with CATIA IGES files. We also supply an optional native CATIA translator that runs inside of FormatWorks.

  1. Have you ever used the SolidWorks diagnosis tools to fix faces and close gaps? FormatWorks also provides additional tools take care of problems that SolidWorks has trouble with.

  2. Gold product - It is completely intergrated with SolidWorks. Very easy to use.

  1. Geometry Check - FormatWorks includes a function to check the quality of the model you are given. This function can also be used to check the quality of your own models to ensure the models you export meet the standards of others. Geometry Check is based on automotive standards for model quality.

Lyle

Reply to
Lyle Fischer