SW to CATIA conversion

Anybody have any experiance with converting SW parts, assy and drawings to Catia?

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

We have very successfully translated via STEP format, but be aware, all solids construction history will be deleted, ie dumb solids.

I have been told DATAKIT have some translators that keep the history but cant confirm that.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

On last check if you buy the DesignStar FEA package with the CATIA option you can go directly from SW geometry to CATIA and vice versa.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Thanks for the info.

What about drawings, anyone have any experiances?

SteveR

"> Anybody have any experiance with converting SW parts, assy and drawings to

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

You might look at the Capvidia products. We are licensed to convert Catia to SW, but you can also go the other way.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Catia and Solidworks file structures work differently to each other. As you know the Solidworks Assy, Part and drawing files are individual files with the drawing having an associativity to the part and assy files.

The Catia model is a single file having the part and drawing or assembly and drawing as a single file.

We have had most success getting Catia drawings into Solidworks by exporting the drawing from Catia as a DXF file and vica versa from Solidworks to Catia.

There is no way to my knowledge of exporting/importing drawings between the 2 systems and retaining parametric associativity.

This also applies when exporting and importing solids and assemblies between the 2 systems, you will get dumb solids only as a result.

If you are only using the data for reference then this is not a problem.

If you are hoping to create fully compatible interchangeable data using Solidworks or Catia and still retaining all parametrics and history you will fail.

When our client stated all data produced by us must be fully Catia compliant, ie they would have the ability to edit our work later, we had to buy Catia.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Phil Evans

Thanks,

I understand the issues and have already figured out the DXF route, was just wondering what other experiances other people had.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch