combine points to a fluent line

Hi,

I have a serious problem and perhaps there is somebody who can help me! First of all, sorry for my incorrect English, but I do my best! I have to copy a piece with a special irregular form! I want to do it with a CNC mill! I have 130 points of that form and want to connect those points with a fluent line that is constructed only by Circles and straight lines! Only straight lines or pieces of circles that connect the points as good as possible. I only can program the machine manually. Can I do it with Autocad or Solidworks? And if so, can you give a short explanation how it can be done?

Thanks a lot!

Dirk

Reply to
Dirkie

I don't think you'll be able to get fluid lines and arcs from a point data set? What you can do in SW is create a spline from a imported data set. Insert/Curve/Curve Through XYZ Points

1 1 1 2.3 1.4 -2 .2 -.5 .6

Otherwise someone may have a macro for importing lines to do point-point or just the points to do the lines and arcs manually?

Or, there maybe a script, macro or plugin for the DWGeditor (acad) to import points as lines?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Dirk,

I guess you want to create a closed curve (spline) and approximate it with tangent arcs. This would be two mouse clicks in Mastercam, but you obviously don't have that.

I think Rhino will do the same thing. They have a full featured evaluation for download.

You could probably write a LISP routine for ACAD. Or maybe you could find someone whos willing to share theirs.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

If you get the demo version of Rhino - it can be done in Rhino by fitting a curve to the points (under the curve menu) and then using the convert to arcs function.

Reply to
Boxman