Conversion of a eDrawing to a model?

Someone sent me an eDrawing of an item. I saved it as an STL file and having opened that in SW have saved it as a part. It looks good on screen but I can't do anything with it. I can import it into an assembly but can't then select anything to mate it.

It's a complicated pump assembly with an abstract outside shape so I can't just quickly remodel it. The originator is unable to supply anything other than this eDrawing so the obvious answer to ask for alternative source data is not available.

Any ideas how I can maneuver it around in my assembly so I can do what I need and design a close fitting housing for it?

Thanks

Flynt

Reply to
Flynt

Just to clarify, I can't even select the part on screen so I can drag it about. Mating it would be good but not even being able to move it at all is frustrating?

Flynt

Reply to
Flynt

Flynt,

Check out "STL and VRML Import Options" in the SolidWorks help file. This should get you on the right track.

Unfortunately, imported STL format is not a great option for your desired application.

STLF files are faceted approximations of the original data. While accurate enough for the original intent of the STL format (rapid prototyping), it will present some challenges for your needs. For example, holes will not be cylindrical which will make mating to them difficult.

Hope this information helps.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks John. Very helpful. I had overlooked the options.

As you said, still not ideal but I was now able to select faces and use that selection to add in reference geometry planes. I can now mate them to locate the assembly. As I am only trying to house the pump that suits my purpose pretty well.

Thanks again,

Flynt.

Reply to
Flynt