Creating Runners

I am looking to see if anyone has created a tool to help create runners in molds faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chris Tellers

Reply to
Chris Tellers

What I've done is create a library of different sized trapezoidal and full-round runners ; I bring them into an assembly ; do a `save as' and modify as needed.

I-Mold has a wizard for runner creation built into it, but you would have to buy and learn the entire package and it's not cheap.

I usually create the runner as a separate part ; do a cavity operation on the appropriate parts and then suppress it. That way I can provide an accurate shot weight if I'm ever asked for it. Sometimes I will cut a simple runner right into the insert-but not often.

Good Luck. I'll be interested to see other replies you get on this one.

jk

Reply to
jk

Could you guys send me an example of what a runner is. I haven't had an opportunity to work with molds.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I've created a few library feature of different shape and size runners (y-shape, x-shape, straight, 2 cavity, 4 cavity, etc). My features are sketch driven, so after I drop the feature on a surface all I have to do is drag it around to get the size and location I need. it's toke a little time to set up, but the time it's saved over the years has been worth it.

David Hannah

Reply to
DHANNAH

When I was a kid making model airplanes, the plastic parts all came attached to a framework. The framework was the runner.

Jerry Steiger

I made a single file library feature with 3 different runner diameters configs. I saved them in the sw/data/weldment profiles/ansi inch/ in a new folder named Runners. Then I made a runner sketch in a new part and used "Weldments" tool. When you select the runner file "size" it uses the last saved config in the library file. So you toggle back to the runner file, switch to the next size runner config and save. Then create the next branch of the runner, and so on. One thing about this method is weldments don't feature mirror or feature pattern (at least I don't know how to do it.) So you have to do the whole runner in the sketch and mirror the sketch lines. You still have to add the ball on the ends of the runners (hassle.)

I would place the runner in the mold and do a cavity cut. 3D sketches for other than flat parting lines work well.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bovinich (home)

"Dan Bovinich \(home\)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

You have to mirror them as bodies, since the welment environment takes advantage of multi-bodies. In the mirror or pattern property manager, expand the bodies selection list near the bottom, then select the elements you want to pattern.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks Dale, it works like a charm!!! Learn something everyday!

Reply to
Dan Bovinich (home)

The reason I ask is I was in the process of creating a macro that would take a sketch and sweep a revolved solid around it say the path a 2 axis mill would create with any given tool. I was able to get sharp corners and corners with atleast 1/2 tool dia for the radius. I ran into a wall trying to figure out how to handle the inbetween radii. Would you need radii like that or would it be adequate like it is. I put quite some time into getting this to work and would like to be able to sell it to someone so my wife can see some good out of the hours I spent sitting at the computer and not next to her.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich