cutting a cam

I'm stumped.

Take a cylinder with a hole through the center. Plunge an endmill into the cylindrical surface radially, then do a helical cut out of the flat end of the part by turning the part and moving the endmill along the axis of the cylinder. On the initial plunge, the centerline of the tool is right on the flat end of the cylinder.

The problem I'm having is getting the helical cam ramp face to be tangent to the initial plunge hole. It's not as geometrically simple as I thought it would be, having done other similar things in the past.

Any help appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
matt

your link is to a word doc.

Reply to
kenneth b

must have jumped the gun :)

Reply to
kenneth b

i can't post a solution. shoot me an email with your address and i'll send to you.

Reply to
kenneth b

Link works for me. Are you really getting a word doc?

Oh, you're the one asking for the old version of my Tools, Options doc. Let me look again and see if I can't find it. I think I deleted the old version.

matt

Reply to
matt

Ok, I'll trade you for that tools, options thing.

Take the underscores out of my email address.

Thanks for your help, I'm interested to see what you did.

matt

and i'll

Reply to
matt