Dimension Help (new to SW2008)

When I am dimensioning a part, I get the dimension and underneath I get in paranthesis the lettr D followed by a number.... I have searched for this "switch" but cant find it... Thanks!

Reply to
mechdesign2k4

Thats called the 'dimension name'.. In the options under general, un-tick the one that says "Show dimension names"

Reply to
tnik

Thanks! It was driving me crazy!

Reply to
mechdesign2k4

yea, same here.. I guess if I ever get into using equations, with multiple dimensions, I might see a use for it..

Reply to
tnik

Actually I use a lot of simple equations... is there a way to liknd one dimension to another?

Reply to
mechdesign2k4

Yes, it's called linking. Basically it creates a variable name and then you tie the dims to that variable.

To do it, look in the little box where you change the value of a dim. You will find a drop-down box that lets you select Link value... Click that, enter a name, and accept it. You will then see a little symbol next to the dim in the graphics area that signifies it is linked. Then the next one you want to join with it, pick the existing name out of the same box. Anytime you change one of them in the set, it will update the variable and all the dims that are tied to it.

WT

Actually I use a lot of simple equations... is there a way to liknd one dimension to another?

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

If you looking for more information on linking dimensions I made a blog post about it here:

Regards,

Alex R. Ruiz The SolidWorks Geek

The SolidWorks Geek